Monday, February 18, 2008

stupid spellcheck. stupid blogger.

Day 3 at work. No sign of day off in sight.


It's also day 1 of a 2 day snowstorm. Yippee. Sunday it was 50 and raining. By the end of the day it's looking like 0 and the potential for 9 inches of snow. I'm contemplating options: Get a credit card and buy a ticket to someplace warm and sunny and cheap OR crawl into bed and come out in 6 weeks Brian Wilson-style.

I am 25 pages from the end of Anna. I need this to be finished. It's funny to think back to when I started reading it and how my perceptions of characters have changed dramatically. I'm really glad I ended up reading it and I look forward to my next foray into the Russians (this one's next--maybe this summer) but first I'm going to read me some short stories and maybe a modern novel.

I just found out Josh Ritter's playing Calvin on the 3rd of March for a mere $15.00 which is practically criminal given how freaking good he is live. I was originally a-lookin' to see if the Califone show was on sale yet (okay, okay it's the Iron and Wine show, but I'm more interested in Califone) which it is but those tickets are $25.00 and we've been spoiled these past few years paying virtually nothing thanks to cheap shows at the Majestic. We also just found out this crazy music festival is going to be happening right here in the Western Michigan area. Check out that list! John Mayer and Snoop Dogg. Modest Mouse and Keller Williams. It's a mishmash of musical stylings!

After work I'm braving the Acres of Thrift. In theory it shouldn't be busy. It also should be severely lacking in the produce department, but I'll deal. Our refrigerator is pathetically empty except for some Sierra Nevada and a couple of Bell's. I somehow managed to come up with enough food to eat for my lunch today and I could probably go another day or so, but I much prefer options. The hardest part is going to be not getting takeout yet again as I won't want to go home after having worked all day and gone grocery shopping to cook.

How I wish the Acres of Thrift had a sushi bar!

4 comments:

kevdek said...

this is the first I've heard of the festival. Indeed, it is a mishmatch of genres. Who has musical tastes that broad to want to attend and pay $250 and live within reasonable distance of whitehall, mi? What are the few good artists, of montreal, beth orton, doing there?

I just got home from this wilco concert - fantastic! I'll tell you all about it when I see you this week. How about tomorrow night in GR or Wed evening in gr or holland? Let's make this work out.

metal said...

speak no ill of the acres. i, for one, miss the thrift palpably on a daily basis. also, i think knapp corner did or does have a sushi bar, or maybe it was at cascade. but at least one of them did at some point. also, *few* good artists? what the hell are you talking about? how many of those bands have you actually heard or seen? granted, some of them don't really float my boat, but your claim is like saying there are only a few good bands at bonnaroo every year. try and separate the music from the crowd.

erin said...

I am sad to say my Acres of Thrift (which I do adore, by the way) is lacking a sushi bar. The shiny new one on the north side of town might have one, but I much prefer my old school ghetto 16th street Meijer.

It's got charm.

metal said...

yeah, that's how i feel about the one in jenison; the meijer of my youth.