We spent the first hour of Oscar night watching this kick ass Nature episode on raptors. There was discussion of getting into falconry. They spoke of a bird 18 pounds--that's Grace size, people--and that freaked the beejesus out of me.
I did Oscar. Not like the Oscar days of yore, but I watched. A brief and probably not very exciting overview of my thoughts:
Who knew Javier Bardem was so freaking hot without that haircut?
Tilda Swindon, one hell of a talented actress, looked more like death than I have ever seen her. I blame the body bag dress.
Miley Cyrus is terrifying. Like a robots threatening to take over the world terrifying. There is something very off about that young lady.
The whole let's-bring-musical-theatre-to-the-Oscars thing? Don't.ever.do.it.again. The Enchanted number with Kristen Chenoweth was almost more terrifying than Miley Cyrus. Almost.
Marion Cotillard is just lovely and for originality alone gets one of my favorite dresses of the night awards.
While those two from Once were singing I could sense the thousands of late 30-early 40 somethings downloading the entire soundtrack from iTunes.
I hear there's a trick for looking at Renee Zelwegger. I was incapable of focusing on anything other than her eyes completely disappearing into little slits.
Cameron Diaz? Presenting Best Cinematography? Huh?!
Diablo Cody winning for Juno made me happy. I liked that little movie and I like that ex-stripper.
Daniel Day-Lewis has been out of the spotlight for a good many years so I forgive his convoluted speech about his Oscar springing from Paul Thomas Anderson's head.
The Coen Brothers done grown up. It was one of the first things I thought after having seen No Country For Old Men and tonight they proved it. Plus, because they won so much, I had the extreme pleasure of seeing Cormac McCarthy sitting in the audience a lot. They deserve everything they won and I cannot wait for The Yiddish Policemen's Union.
Not only did I watch the whole Oscar thing, I started a new book I could not put down: The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao. That's a link to the Wikipeida entry which contains lots of nice clean Spanish and Dominican phrases. Dang this book is fun. Unfortunately it also kept me up until well past 1am. And I'm on night 2 in a row of nightmares which wake me out of a dead sleep around 3:30am. Needless to say today I am a delight to be around.
I sense some insomnia on the horizon.
3 comments:
i couldn't agree more about miley, cameron, and renee. (shudder) i love it when people i like win, so yay coen bros.
unfortunately, your oscar review makes me want to drop out of school so i can mosey over to graafschap road & crack a pbr with you. thanks erin.
I had similar sentiments when I *hmph* watched the entire show, alone, last night.
I wanted more jon stewart.
I almost called you when the 'once' song was performed. so angry.
Check out this graphic from the nyt yesterday. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/02/23/movies/20080223_REVENUE_GRAPHIC.html
kevin you are taking it way too personally
Post a Comment