Wednesday, February 27, 2008

like topping from the bottom

You know what? There's no point in trying to boost my spirits today. Or really anytime in the immediate future. I'm angry and every time I think I should just let it go I get angry all over again. No matter how optimistically I begin my days inevitably I end up pissed off. Either I need to learn how to deal with my anger or I'm going to end up in a psych ward by the end of March.

You heard it here first.

Last night I had one of the tastiest beers I done ever tried before. I wish I knew more about beer so I could accurate describe how it tasted. We were at New Holland Brewery for growler night (we currently have a gallon of beer in our fridge for a total cost of $10) and after having a Mad Hatter we decided to try out 2 of their speciality beers: Golden Mean and Wicked Girls. I'm not going to waste your time trying to convey the dishwater mouthfeel I had after the Wicked Girls. Vile stuff. But Golden Mean? Delicious. It was a pilsner with this...amazing...burnt sugar taste right off. And then it managed to sweetly mellow without being cloying. Art in fermented form indeed.

Skiles was next to pick up a pizza and just as we were about ready to head home and watch The Darjeeling Limited, Joel and Joan arrived. We couldn't just leave. That would have been rude. Sounds like we're going to have some companions for the Califone show and tickets were bought today for Josh Ritter on Monday night in celebration of Joel's "birthweek." I think we made the right choice in going to that show. Fifteen dollars? For Josh Ritter?! In Grand Rapids?!?!

It should come as no surprise I feel asleep halfway through The Darjeeling Limited. I loved the first half, but my sleep deprived eyes and tummy full of beer and pizza were too strong for even Wes Anderson. I think we're going to try again tonight when I get home.

Mulligan's is safe, by the way, and back and open for business as of 3:15pm this afternoon.

2 comments:

p said...

apologies for erroneously trying to lift your spirits

erin said...

not directed at you, peetah!