Wednesday, February 20, 2008

day 5 of 7 in a row at work

Oh my oh my the sun came out today and I realized just how much of an effect the grey and snowy winter has had on me. It's odd to be able to recognize how depressed and miserable I've become and yet not be able to pull myself out until the sun appears. It may have been the accidental hour and a half nap I took last night combined with the more than plentiful 8 hours of sleep, but I managed to wake up on my own to a sun-filled bedroom and I was happy.

Though hearing Obama beat the snot out of Hillary in Wisconsin unexpectedly didn't hurt either.

Nor did talking to my parents whilst roasting eggplant, sautéing kale and mixing up some sort of delicious whole wheat pasta salad concoction to bring to work today.

Last night I watched the first of what will prove to be a long list of documentaries to consider for this fall: Anytown, USA. Good little documentary that I thought lacked a provocative quality I'm looking for. I don't want these films to be TOO provocative, but I do want them to lead to conversation. I did enjoy what a filthy dirty mouth the incumbent Republican candidate had combined with a downright mean-spirited attitude and a complete lack of caring he was constantly being filmed. He reveled in the filming, in fact. And his filthy dirty mouth. And his mean-spiritedness. I have compiled a list of films I'll be checking out and it includes everything from marketing in US culture to storefront churches in Washington D.C. to genetically engineered foods to the working poor to the future of farming. I think I've decided to focus topically though quite honestly I don't know. I have a lot of time and a lot of films to watch. I'm hoping it's all just going to come together.

You know, I've been saying for awhile that though I personally cannot vote for John McCain (his unapologetic support of the war makes it virtually impossible) I am glad he's the nominee. And though I don't know if Barack Obama will make a better president or not I'd rather see a campaign between the two of them than between McCain and Clinton. I've also said we should consider throwing the election to the Republicans anyway--focus locally, get a wider margin in the House and Senate (not that the Democrats have proven to me much but completely ineffective since taking control, but I'm being optimistic here!), and let the Republican Party be the face of the war. I kind of forgot about one really big issue.

The Supreme Court. I was reminded this morning by my very wise father it is possible in the next 5 years we'll have 3 more Justices retiring. Do we really want a Republican nominating more justices? I kind of felt like I'd been punched in the stomach as it made me think I could very possibly still be persuaded to vote for Hillary if it comes to that.

Makes me sick just writing it.

1 comment:

metal said...

oh, supreme court. anyone who winds up there usually sucks. i've had it with those folks. hang in there at work!