Despite my breaking my own not-on-school-nights rule (hey! It was Steve's birthday! Special occasion!) I am oddly proud of myself for recognizing post-martini and a coupla beers that 1:30am was an appropriate and reasonable time to go to sleep.
It's all about the little victories.
As a result of my choices, however, I did not manage to get up this morning and go for a run. I also did not manage to get up this morning and get Peter to Gazelle for a running shoe consultation. I also did not manage to get up this morning to eat more than a few bites of a veggie burger. When 2pm hits I will be beelining it downstairs for an icy diet coke and some crackers.
I did manage to get up and listen to Bernie Sanders on Diane Rehm. I love that man. I remember the first time I voted in a general election I got all gussied up (which I do every time I vote, by the way. Voting is serious business and derserves some semblance of decorum and ritual.) and went down to Simple Pleasures for coffee and bagel before voting and there was Bernie shaking hands. He was a celebrity to me. And he remains one of the few politicians left in America I actually respect. He's a proud socialist. He does not take any corporate money for his campaigns. He believes, as I do, that the wealth distribution in this country is obscene and the corporate tax structure is wildly unfair. I actually get a little choked up listening to him speak. He reminds me that despite the mess this country is in he is unrelentingly fighting for the rights of the majority of Americans despite most of them not knowing or caring who he is.
Today begins a week of Erin flying solo in the overdues department. Shockingly, I am not freaked out. I am but one person who can only do so much. Though my desk will not be cleared for a week I will do my best to meet the needs of as many patrons as I can.
May the power of positive thinking sustain....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am SO glad you commented on my crap because, with a little squinting, I noticed your blog address. This is great. I, too, heart Bernie. And how'd that confrontation go?
Also, YES. Read Tinkers. So good. Short, rich, yummy writing.
I'm reading it right now! In fact, I allowed myself to stay in bed until after 11 am this morning so I could keep reading. It is 100% my kind of book: rich, meaty prose that still manages to feel light and effortless.
re: the confrontation
come to find out I can talk real sweet and nice to people and they actually respond well!
Post a Comment