Saturday, March 19, 2011

it's about healthcare and women who think about everyone else first

I have this friend.  Her name is Julie.  She is amazing.  She is the mother to 2 beautiful little girls and the wife of (whom I can only assume to be because I've never met him) a really great guy.  Julie and I work together at the library and have become friends despite our vastly different lifestyles and different departments.  Julie belongs upstairs where her enthusiasm and positive attitude would be perfect for patron services and if I was the Circulation Supervisor I would hire her in a heartbeat because she's smart and friendly and is a perfect fit.  Unfortunately she works downstairs in the bowels of the library where she does a great job working with the...with...well... alot of personalities.  Vendors, management, fellow staff members...the like.  ANYWAY, Julie is the salt of the earth.  And she's been sick since before Thanksgiving.  Back and forth to Prime Care with the kids and her.  "Oh you have a virus. Oh you have a cold."  She's been on antibiotics.  She's had inhalers.  She's gotten better and then when the drugs dry up she's gotten worse.  Friday at work I asked her wtf was up because she coughed like a mofo during our "the world is coming to an end" staff meeting and since she's been sick so long I was getting worried.  There is clearly something wrong.  She said the C(ancer) word first but seriously.  I am crazy paranoid about cancer.  A coworker went fast.  My dad recently had his kidney removed. I myself am up for my 6 month checkup for skin cancer.  Come to find out she has bronchitis.  I asked her at 4:30pm yesterday as she was leaving work if she was going straight to Prime Care.  She said no.  At midnight it sounds like she was in the emergency room getting a breathing treatment, a chest xray, antibiotics and cough syrup.  For bronchitis.

Julie cares for people.  Every day. She takes care of her kids.  She takes care of her husband.  She takes care of  multiple people at the library.  I'm pretty sure the last person she thinks of is herself.  Which is why she has bronchitis.

In other news:

health care in this country still sucks.


. 

No comments: