Saturday, March 12, 2011

because i just can't let it go

So no fewer than 10 of my friends on facebook either posted the Rachel Maddow clip regarding Snyder's budget plan or commented on said Emergency Financial Managers law. 

I voted for Snyder in the primaries because the Democrats put up worthless candidates and anyone with a brain knew no Democrat was going to win after 8 years of Granholm.  I have no regrets about that vote.  I voted for the one person who wasn't in the pocket of the religious right.

This is POLITICS, people.  The all-powerful, money-drenched game of POLITICS.  Remember when Obama passed the health care bill?  And the Republicans freaked out?  And the word "socialism" was the dirtiest word in America? 

Republicans feel about unions the way Democrats feel about corporate tax breaks. 

Neither side is 100% right.

The Emergency Financial Managers law is definitely a terrible piece of legislation.  Making null and void labor contracts, dismissing democratically elected officials without replacement elections (by the way, if you really care about your local elected officials you might want to try VOTING in your local elections.  I love it when people start bitching and moaning about rights being taken away that they take for granted every election.)  It is a Democrat's nightmare.  But Michigan is broke and broken.  It was going broke under Engler.  It was broke and broken under Granholm.  We're bleeding out here, people.  And by bleeding out I mean people don't want to live here and until people want to live here and pay taxes here there is little to do but cut everything possible and raise taxes.  Want to help Michigan?  MOVE BACK HERE AND BUY A HOUSE AND GET A JOB.  Do I agree we should be raising taxes on the elderly and poor?  Of course not.  I'm a fucking Democrat.  Do I agree we should take those tax increases and give it back to businesses in tax breaks?  Actually I do.  Businesses create economic growth.  Sorry, but that's the way capitalism works.  Move to the Netherlands if you want a socialist economy.

And while I'm in the midst of a somewhat nonsensical rant that will undoubtedly get me in trouble with all of my Democrat friends, let me just say by posting a Rachel Maddow clip you are no better than someone who posts a Rush Limbaugh clip.  That kind of "reporting" is directly responsible for the poisonous political atmosphere we are now living in.

Rant over. 

Back to our regularly scheduled posts about sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I would like to say, Erin, that I could not have said this better.