Thursday, March 10, 2011

it's "library materials advocate" not "bitch overdues lady"

Every year about this time we enter what is known as Big Scary BUDGET TIME.  Big Scary BUDGET TIME starts in March and goes until the end of June.  Every single year for the past, oh I'd say at least five years we've had Big Scary BUDGET threats.  "Taxable valuations are dropping!  State funding will be cut 40%!  We're closing on Sundays!  Staff cuts are inevitable!" Every single year for at least five years during this Big Scary BUDGET TIME the entire staff freaks out.  Morale drops to terrifying levels.  "Information" is passed in whispered tones. 

Every.single.year.for.the.past.5.years.

This year I've decided to just not think about it.  So far I'm not doing a very good job as evidenced by Peter's and my lunchtime conversation where we talked all about the budget and our ideas and what should happen and more importantly what shouldn't.  But I'm seriously going to try.  I do not get to decide what gets cut and what doesn't.  My supervisor asked for suggestions and I gave her suggestions.  I'm going to show up and do my job and when I'm not at my job I'm going to do my very best to forget all about it. 

You heard it here first.

No comments: