Thursday, March 17, 2011

too bad it's all in kalamazoo

The Elephant 6 show was the single best concert experience I have had in a very long time.  I was not at all familiar with their catalog aside from Neutral Milk Hotel (and no we didn’t buy tickets in the hopes Jeff Mangum would show up) and guess what:  it didn’t matter.  They played for nigh on 3 hours and though I didn’t love every song, I loved a lot of them.  Every piece was well executed.  The jamming out was not too jammed out.  The noise rock had just enough noise.  There were unique voices and distinct differences in style.  It was a true musical collective in the best sense possible.  I felt a part of something special. 

Plus I got all sweaty and dance-y and drank a bunch of big PBRs in cans.

The Strutt is a venue to keep an eye on.  I really liked the space and vibe.  It was part coffee shop, part bar, part restaurant, and part concert space.  And I didn’t even see the whole space.  It’s on a triangular corner so the backstage door is on the point which for some reason I found really awesome. 

We went to Food Dance for supper first which was good, but no Green Well.  Damn it, why can’t every restaurant be like The Green Well.  The space was big and modern looking, but maybe a little too “we’re-so-big-and-modern-looking.”  Of the 7 or so beers on tap they were out of two and the two they were out of were the ones everyone wanted. 
I actually think my favorite part might have been the cheese plate we ordered.  Unique artisan cheeses that were all very good and distinct though we did almost get to see Joel throw up at the table when he took a bite out of the very sticky, runny Hooligan cheese I ordered.  I tasted everyone’s entrees and though I liked parts of all of them (the Grafton cheddar sauce in the mac and cheese?  Fabulous.  The braised vegetables with the beer roasted chicken?  Delicious.  And the chicken was so chicken-y.  The stuffing in the poblanos?  Amazing. The coconut milk rice?  Yummy.) the overall experience was just good not great.

REGARDLESS, it was a practically perfect night. 

imho.

No comments: