Saturday, August 2, 2008

last night i had duck. i love duck.

My friend Molly was interviewed for a GR Press story involving the popularity of libraries during economic downturns. The irony, of course, is that as a result of the economic downturn libraries are also hurting. Our budget shortfall this year was in the neighborhood of $150,000 thanks to a tax base that is shrinking. And yet we're busier each month. So we're broke and busy. Good times.

Last night I saw Kiss Me Kate. Merciful heavens, I love Cole Porter. I also love being catty and man oh man the costumes on that stage filled me with perverse pleasure. Men in tights that were ridiculously baggy, women with skirts that had the most hideous and nonsensical closures, the female lead in a poorly cut, sloppily made jacket PLUS they put her in a wig that seriously should have lept off her head and attempted to escape. The male lead lacked any sense of connection with the audience, the singing was meh. I will say Too Darn Hot had some of the best choreography I have ever seen out of HSRT. And the 2 gangsters were quite good. But honestly? The level of craftsmanship especially in the costume department has sunk to an all-time low. It is shamefully delicious.

Phase 1 of Make The Compound More Liveable has begun. They took out a whole mess of trees the other day. Not too many near us, but up front the view is significantly different. Meaning you can actually SEE the road from the house and vice versa. In theory, we're getting a new door next--screen and inside door. I'm hoping I'm around the day they replace it just so I can kick the old door down.

Life continues to be busy. My 4 mile run tomorrow will complete week 1 of half training. Aside from a foolish decision to run at 10am yesterday morning on a route with virtually no shade things have been going nicely. My Obamamania has subsided a bit, but I'm still running canvasses on Tuesday nights and will probably be back out on Saturdays soon plus I'm being sent to Leadership Training next Sunday for the campaign. People keep coming to visit which is swell though slightly stressful as there is never enough time to spend with everyone. I still have this quilt that I'm avoiding like the plague, but really need to deal with. We're short 3 positions here at work so I'm just waiting for someone to ask if I'll work extra.

But it's summer. And my bike is sweet. And my friends are the best. And the produce at the market continues to be outstanding. And our tomatoes are thiiiis close to being ready. And the lake continues to call me. And sitting outside late at night makes the heat tolerable. And it seems as if every time I add something to my life time expands to make everything fit.

Ugh. I really might need a Life is Good tshirt.

No comments: