Wednesday, August 13, 2008

it isn't a cold it isn't a cold it isn't a cold

The lack of sleep is starting to get to me. I didn't get home from canvassing until after 9pm and as I hadn't seen Peter in over 12 hours I thought maybe we should, I don't know, talk to each other or something. We were briefly interrupted by the lesbians which was fine, but it did end up prolonging our night. There doesn't really seem to be an end in sight. Tonight I have to work until 9pm as I'm showing Made In LA then I'm meeting my BFF at NHB. Tomorrow morning I really need to run, call my sister, make some phone calls for the local Democratic Convention/Canvassing Event scheduled for this Saturday, and work from 12-9pm. Friday I've agreed to work a few extra hours and Friday night I have to run the please-please-please-volunteer-so-I-can-maybe-recapture-a-life meeting for Obama. Saturday I was supposed to be off, but I'm thinking of heading down to see this local convention thingy as it appeals to my geeky political nature and I fear it would quickly turn into me canvassing all afternoon and I'm not really sure I want to do that.

Sunday. My life is all about getting to my Sundays.

We started persuasion canvassing last night. I was kind of unsure if I'd be interested, but it turns out it's less about persuasion and more about talking to people and finding out where they stand right now from which candidate they're supporting to which issues are most important to them. We have specific names and addresses of people we're targeting. Unfortunately, last night's lists ended up being all.campus.housing as guess who the crystal ball data miners are targeting? People from the ages of 25-40. And the lists were probably made from the 2000 census which means none of those people live there anymore. Frustrating was an understatement. One would think one might look into those lists before wasting a bunch of volunteers' time. Despite not getting the chance to even talk to one person I'm pretty sure I'm going to be good at this. I like to talk about politics and I'm genuinely interested in hearing what people are into even if they aren't on my side. Plus I've got years of listening to talking heads which means I can spin with the best of them. "So you're supporting McCain because you've heard Obama is going to raise taxes? Yeah, that does sound terrifying especially here in Michigan. But actually his tax plan includes repealing the Bush tax cuts for those who make $200,000 or more which means most of us aren't going to be affected. You should head onto barakobama.com. It's a great resource which explains all of his plans from health care to immigration to taxes. Thanks so much for your time!"

Seriously? I should be getting paid for this.

1 comment:

metal said...

sounds like they just don't even think about what they want you to do. they just say to do the things they figure people volunteering for presidential campaigns should be doing. but you do it, and i find it admirable that you have not awarded yourself a salary of self-righteousness in lieu of receiving no compensation. you do it because you want to do it. at the very least, it is something to experience.