Friday, April 11, 2008

my beatles pint glass has mysterious healing powers

I am wearing a white t-shirt with a white cardigan today. This can only mean one thing. I will spill something on it before the day is finished.

I've read way too many books this week. I've got characters all jumbled up in my head interacting with lines of poetry. And yet I remain fairly unsatisfied. Everything I've read has been okay. Completely readable and all, but just not mindblowingly good. I'm looking for mindblowingly good. Usually this is a great week of reading for me as the Pulitzers were announced, but alas Oscar Wao won (making me feel really smartlike given how many people I've convinced to read it and who loved it) and the shortlist was really short. I've picked up Shakespeare's Kitchen which I'm halfway through and feeling a bit meh about. The other was Tree of Smoke. I'm going to have to read it someday but I'm rarely in the mood for a good Vietnam-based book of fiction.

Once I've untangled myself from this Shakespeare's Kitchen business I'm going to read What is the What. I just put it on hold (for some reason the main library doesn't own it...ahem), but as I have to walk downtown for lunch today I may pop into Readers World and buy it if the price is right. I have wanted to read it as Peter recommended it to me and given it's not the kind of book he'd even normally read I have a feeling I'll get into it, but now I want to read it MORE as Peter's lobbying to have it be the read-along-the-lakeshore book for next year. Which would be sweet. Because we would finally out-cool the Grandest of Rapids by getting Dave Eggers in Holland.

Dave Eggers.
In Holland.
HA!

You know where I'm glad not to be living right now?
Pennsylvania.
That must just blow. I'm sick to death of the national coverage of that completely pointless primary. I can only imagine the ridiculousness of the local ads. And when I say "completely pointless primary" I truly mean it. There is no way Hillary is going to manage to do anything but prolong the inevitable. Which means she's just going to continue to harm the party thereby ensuring the Republicans win again. Oh well. We tried. Just like how we tried in 2000 when we were up against an inexperienced moron and we lost. And when we tried again in 2004 as the inexperienced moron had us engaged in an illegal and costly war and we lost. And now it's 2008 and our domestic economy is in a freefall and we're still engaged in this illegal and costly war with no end in sight and our energy needs continue to climb without signs of change and our planet is getting trashed and Russia is looking scary and our international reputation is essentially irrevocably damaged and we're going to lose.

I'm trying to prepare myself for yet another disappointing loss thanks to a party that can't seem to ever get its act together.

2 comments:

metal said...

it cold sucks to live in pennsylvania right now. philly is plastered with all the stalinesque obama posters. who designed that shit? someone with no notion of history, that is who.

metal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.