Oh dear. Where to start?
La Cantina was delicious. Mahi mahi tacos and margaritas.
Califone? Amazing. Truly outstanding. They played for about 45 minutes. They played Orchids. They screwed up. They perfectly deconstructed songs and then built them back up beautifully. There was energy and life and it was pure art in song. I cannot say enough how much I recommend seeing them live.
Iron and Wine, however, was a different story. Now, I've never been a fan. But when I heard Califone was opening for them/him I thought what the hell! I'll give 'em another shot. We bought Shepard's Dog which I found myself enjoying. At least the first half until I'd get bored. I knew I was in trouble from the first song. It was very very pretty and very very long and very very harmonized and very very boring. I perked up a little when the whole band came out and he said something like "now we're going to make some noise." My eyes quickly glazed over. Even with 2 percussionists, a pianist/keyboard player, a bass player/electric cellist, a female singer/violinist, a slide guitarist, and an accordion/guitarist/xylophonist I was bored. They lacked any.energy. I don't know if it was that Califone just stole their thunder or if they've been playing together longer or what. They just lacked that something that makes live music so good. The other problem? Iron and Wine played for TWO HOURS. Normally when I pay decent money for a show, 2 hours would be welcomed. I kept looking at the set list on the soundboard trying to keep track of how far along they were and not believing we were only half way through the set. Everything sounded the same. Everything was harmonized. Everything was very pretty. And everything was dull.
This was the first time I have ever felt this way about a show. I could not wait for it to be over. And that was the consensus amongst the 4 of us. It was just lacking.
I, uh, unexpectedly had to work today. When I say "unexpectedly" I mean I forgot. Thankfully I called a coworker just to check and so here I am.
Woo.hoo.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
the iron&wine dude had a sweet beard. i'll say that much.
That's why I didn't shell out the cash to see the show in chicago. I saw iron and wine four years ago and I found it fairly enjoyable - low key, intimate environment but then I saw him at pitchfork last summer and I found his performance of the newer material both irritating and boring at the same time. If it were califone alone, I would have gone.
Last night we saw the new pornographers. Actually, two thirds of the new pornographers as Dan Bejar was doing his own thing with destroyer and neko case was out with a fractured foot. Down to only one singer, they were forced to play only AC Newman songs creating a very monotonous performance. If I had known it wasn't the full lineup, I certainly wouldn't have gotten tickets. I guess you can't win them all.
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Massagem, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://massagem-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.
Post a Comment