Saturday, February 19, 2011

today was the day we were supposed to take the train to nola. bummer.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that I'm not doing so great these days.  I know, I know it's seasonal @#$%!ing depression.  I know no one "feels good" during the winter months.  I know I go through this every year.  I hit a new low yesterday when I didn't crawl out of bed until 11:30am then promptly played solitaire on the computer for countless hours.  I mean countless.hours.  I didn't eat.  I didn't shower.  I sat and played solitaire.  At 6 pm I finally took a shower only to put on clean pajamas.  I did manage to put the computer down and pick up some stitching eventually, but I'd still consider it a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.  It's as if I was a checklist for depression:  loss of appetite?  check.  loss of interest in hobbies?  check.  fatigue?  check.  lack of interest in daily activities?  check.

I know how to fix all of this. Run.  Eat real foods at "normal" times.  Get more sleep.  Drink less.  Pursue meaningful relationships.  Do things that bring me joy.

Guess what? 

I don't want to do it.  Any of it.  I know it will make me feel better.  But right now it not only feels overwhelming, it feels pointless.  It's a self-perpetuating downward spiral. 

It's kind of the bitch of the whole thing.  There is nothing anyone can do or say to make me feel better. I need to pull myself out of this.  I will.  I just seem to keep getting in my own way.

Things that don't suck right now include:
planning for the Chicago weekend
braised lamb shanks with saffron risotto
The Hobbit
feather stitches in shades of pink
Wholphin
taking all my breaks at work
J Lohr on sale at Meijer for $11.99

No comments: