Thursday, February 24, 2011

team mondo all the way!

Mondo was robbed.  Gretchen wasn’t the evil bitch they portrayed her to be.  Andy was lucky to make it to the final 3.  Michael C just made me sad. 

God, I love Project Runway. 

Not only did Mondo bring me much joy and whimsy and color, I was also struck by how much I identified with Gretchen.  I too am frequently perceived as a bitch especially at work.  To their credit, my parents brought me up to believe my opinion mattered.  My point of view was mine all mine and as long as I was reasonably well-informed, I was taught to be proud of that.  What the producers did to Gretchen was unfair.  They needed a villain and since Ivy (crazy bitch.  crazy, crazy bitch) wasn’t talented enough, Gretchen got the job.  I do agree she went overboard sometimes (see the Team Lux challenge.  Hot mess is an understatement), but it’s really not cool when strong, intelligent, independent women are portrayed as bitches because they are confident. 

I still think she shouldn’t have won.  Mondo was outstanding. 

Despite my daily appearance being of the “before” variety, I love fashion.  I love clothes.  I love how styling the right piece with well chosen accessories and makeup and hair can really make a look sing.  Plus, I love clothing construction.  Every time I watch a season of Project Runway I get the itch to stitch.  As my body type and bank account don’t allow for designer clothes and I actually know how to make patterns and drape and sew, it seems like a no-brainer to make my own clothes.  And yet, I have never once made a single article of clothing for myself.

Measurements have been taken.  I have a bolt of muslin and some craft paper.  I have a fabric stash to be envied. I need to get some curves and a long metal yard stick and I’ll be in business. 

All I need is a rice cooker in the corner of the dining room and I should have my own little sweatshop up and running soon.

No comments: