Wednesday, April 20, 2011

why erin deserves to get a martini

1.  It's Wednesday.

That's all I got. 

There is absolutely positively no reason for me to walk down to Butch's on this cold and rainy/snowy night to get a drink.  Though I had a moment of "oh-fuck-it-all-I-just-want-to-quit-my-job-and-become-a-shepherd" today it wasn't an especially BAD day.  No one spit at me.  No one hung up on me.  No one swore at me.  Quite honestly, that makes today kind of stellar day.  And yet between the news that Suzanne Geha will no longer be delivering the 11pm news on Wood TV 8 (That woman has done nothing to me, but for some reason I have loathed her for years.  Every single time I see her I say out loud "Good GOD someone should bitchslap that woman.  Right in the mouth"-sorry, Mom.  Not nice, I know) and the realization I have not had a Butch's martini since...since....I cannot remember the last time I had a Butch's martini!...I figure I deserve it.  Plus, Melissa just informed me via facebook that she needs someone to have a drink for her as it's been that sort of day. 

I'm doing it for Melissa.  Taking one for the team.  Always there for a sister.

I finished reading "Slow Fade" by Rudolph Wurlitzer.  That's a link to Drag City's website which happens to be the reason I even heard about this book. Will Oldham is reading the audiobook and I love Will Oldham and Peter is still reading his #$%^ing "wizard" book so I was looking for something good.  It delivered.  It was originally published in 1984, but it is really timeless.  Plus there's an old spaghetti western director on the decline, a spiritual quest in India, and a brief scene in the Russian Tea Room.  Read it.  It's quick and good.

Next up is Swamplandia!  by Karen Russell.  I bought it.  I just...bought it.  Hardcover and all.  I'm fairly confident it's going to be good and I think it's going to be a pass-it-along kind of book. 

After that I have this friend who wrote a mofo novel and for some reason is letting me read it before it's published.  Which it will be.  I have very little doubt.  She has doubt but she's a writer so what does she know?  And despite not having a technological device with which to read said novel, I've decided I'm going to print the whole thing off. 

And now? 

Off to get that martini.

No comments: