Alright, alright, alright. This is ridiculous. I know it's the NYT, but this editorial today just puts this whole government shutdown mess into such perspective.
Abortion
The EPA
Health Care
Really, Republican Party? Seriously?
First of all, last time I checked, abortion was a legal medical procedure. Ending financial support for facilities that perform abortions is completely inSANE to me. in.SANE. This is a MEDICAL procedure. I understand this issue is emotional and personal. But it's also LEGAL. And a MEDICAL procedure. If you don't want an abortion, don't get one. If you don't want other people to have abortions, go crazy with your bad self and protest and counsel women on all of their other options and, I don't know, consider adopting a few unwanted children because if the rightwingnuts get their way and abortion is not legal any longer (they also aren't terribly fond of discussing pregnancy prevention options like birth control so I'm not really sure what their plan is...) we're going to have a few kids who need parents. Plus, with dropping the whole EPA monitoring greenhouse gas emissions the kids won't be able to breathe. Nor will they be able to get health care as the Republicans don't want to fund that either.
Okay, okay, okay.
This isn't really about whether or not someone agrees with abortion or thinks the wacky science of greenhouse gas emissions is real or not. What infuriates me is that the government is going to shut down because for some reason the Republican party believes THESE are absolutely ESSENTIAL issues that need to be addressed RIGHT NOW. (They don't. They just think they can manipulate a whole mess of people who think killing babies is wrong and national health care is socialism and Democrats want to take away your ridiculously large vehicle.)
Seriously, Boehner? Really?
You're playing chicken, Republicans. You're playing chicken because you don't think anyone is going to pay attention to the details and the Democrats will get blamed when wives whose husbands are serving in Afghanistan go on The Today Show and cry about how they aren't getting paid.
Excellent example of the awesomeness of democracy, by the way. I'm sure Egypt and Libya and Bahrain and Yemen and Morocco are looking at how amazingly well this is being handled and are superimpressed.
Well played.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment