Saturday, April 16, 2011

i am a slut for fish sauce

One of my personal culinary heroes, Mr.Anthony Bourdain, uttered those words on an episode of Top Chef. It happened to be the episode that finally sparked a hint of an appetite which resulted in an udon noodle soup with celery, carrots, tamari and the aforementioned fish sauce.  Because I was feeling sassy I tossed the udon with some toasted sesame oil before adding it to the broth and finished the whole thing with some liberal dashes of srirracha.  Foolhardy?  Only time will tell.  All I know is for the first time since Tuesday night I thought "Gosh, that sounds delicious!  I bet I can make something like that out of real food I have in my house!  Instead of opening a can!  Or a sleeve of saltines! While swigging gatorade!" and I did it.  And it was delicious.  I also ate a small serving of vanilla yogurt with a banana, sprinkled with some amazingly good homemade granola.  The granola is Malkowski-made and probably the best granola I have ever had.  Ever.  Ever ever ever.  It's seedy and oaty and not clustery and toasty and just the perfect amount of sweet.

I've been waiting for this moment for days.  This afternoon Peter made me say out loud "I'm afraid I'll never get my appetite back" just so he could say "See?  Doesn't that sound ridiculous?!"  It didn't this afternoon.  This afternoon, post-bath with Richard Brautigan, I forced myself to eat a poached egg on one piece of dry toast.  I love poached eggs.  A perfectly poached egg might be a close second to perfectly seared duck as my all-time favorite food.  And yet after 2 1/2 days of saltines and canned chicken noodle soup, a poached egg sounded...oh my goodness...I cannot even conceive of an ill-tasting food!

It's a miracle!  My appetite is back!

And I am on my way to becoming an excellent egg poacher.

2 comments:

hbread said...

Damn you...I want some of that soup.

I just started reading Freedom, though I'm no fan of the Franzen persona. Quite absorbing, in a slightly more sedate We Were the Mulvaneys way. You might try it if you haven't.

erin said...

I...uh...haven't read We Were the Mulvaneys.

I'm cringing here, Hillary.

BUT I have read Freedom. And I quite liked it. I bought it right after it came out and consumed it in a very short amount of time so it wasn't a savoring kind of read but more of a "oh my god i'm starving and i'm going to consume this entire bag of chips and that pint of ice cream and what the hell throw in that bag of peanut butter cups while you're at it" kind of binge.