Wednesday, April 13, 2011

C'MON!

Imagine Will Arnett saying it.  As G.O.B. 

I woke up this morning after a night of, oh, 9ish hours of sleep and I felt....off.  My calves have been killing me (too much, too soon anyone?) so I persuaded Peter to walk downtown with me instead of a run.  By the time I got out of the shower and had a bowl of cereal and a banana I was feeling like death.  Like I was freezing but it was 60 degrees outside.  Like I had hurty skin.  And like I wanted to crawl right back into bed where I was sure I would sleep a great sleep. 

I went to work where I spent the first 2 hours on a service desk thinking I might die.  By the time I got off desk I wasn't sure if I would make it through the day.  A vitamin water and an hour of staring at my computer brought me to my supper break which I promptly used to go home and crawl into bed (in a puddle of sun!).
I decided I was feeling better enough to make it to 9pm.  My skin is still a little hurty.  I'm not really cold anymore but do have a general overall achy feeling.  The most alarming thing?

I am not hungry.

I am always hungry.  No.  Seriously.  Always hungry.  I can eat a full meal-complete with an app-and still have room for dessert.  I can finish eating a meal of a lifetime and be hungry within an hour.  This might be the first time ever I will go with eating so little in a day. 

Regardless, I'm angry.  I'm angry because the weather is beautiful and I am motivated to be out in it biking and running and I feel terrible.  Maybe it's not going to turn into anything.  Maybe tomorrow I will wake up and feel like a million dollars.  Maybe this whole thing is just my body saying "Whoa there, big fella, you don't run like you used to!  Slow down!  Take your time!  Remember how this works!  One foot in front of the other.  One run at a time.  Be cool, baby.  Be cool."

I'm going to listen but I'm not very happy about it.

Hmpf.

2 comments:

hbread said...

Don't you wish there were a way to cir...cir-sum-vent that? I always forget when I resolve to really knuckle down that there are days when you feel like crap. Like, way more of those than those blissful in-tune, fresh-legged days. And that's all part of it. (That said, I hope you aren't sick.)

Also...do you think the appetite all stemmed from marathoning? I've always had a hearty one, but it's been bottomless since I started marathon-level training. (The day after I ran my first one, I ate a huge burger and a platter of fries, turned to my friend, and horrified her by saying that I could do that all over again, right away.)

Anyway, feel better. And for Christ's sakes, eat something.

Michael said...

I feel you pain with the not feeling good woke up today not feeling bad just not feeling right...Slept for 3 hours after being awake for 2 then watched a movie (with Wil Oldham, yep I did not know he was an actor along with being Bonnie Prince Billy, surprised the shit out of me) then slept a little more and all on my freaking day off.