I'm officially the victim of a stomach bug. It hit yesterday morning, gave me a brief respite in the afternoon, came back with a vengeance last night, and might possibly hopefully maybe be easing up today though it may be more likely that it's easing up because I've just given up trying to eat anything. Saltines and soup were not welcomed. Neither was a poached egg. I'm back to gatorade and water and maybe some flat gingerale when the gatorade runs out.
I don't think I've had a honest to God stomach flu in years. Hangovers resulting in stomach distress? Yes. But a flu that makes you cry like a little girl? No. It's wretched. You know you should be eating something. You know you should be drinking something. But when nothing stays put it seems like all of the eating and drinking results in more torment. Peter seems to have caught a touch of it today so I've been wiping down surfaces and have yielded the bedroom to him. A nap will definitely be order this afternoon, however.
I'm just hoping I'm 100% better by Sunday as we have tickets to the Shorts beer dinner at Butch's. Shorts has become one of our most favorite Michigan breweries and I've heard nothing but excellent things about the pairing menus coming out of Butch's. If I eat nothing between now and then? Fine. I just want to be able to enjoy the heck out of some tasty beer and food.
Because of the beer dinner, I had already taken Monday off which will result in 5 days of me not being at work. Having just accused someone of taking advantage of such a weekend by calling in sick, may I just say I'd rather be at work. Because we're both sick we're not able to go to Melissa's birthday party tonight which is a HUGE bummer. Though I got to have lunch with her last weekend, I haven't seen Neal or Reuben in awhile and I was really looking forward to a Berghoef Family Dinner. I'm hoping we'll be able to cobble together some plans for next weekend so we can celebrate her birthday up proper.
I finished reading The Imperfectionists-the only benefit to being sick is being able to read-and I really did like it. Well-constructed, interesting topic, tasty meaty prose. I have no idea what I'm reading next, though I hear Peter is almost done with his wizard book so I suspect Saguaro by Carson Mell will be up shortly. I've been looking longingly at my copy of Swann's Way lately and wonder if spring might not be the perfect time to dive into some Proust. And I've been contemplating reading the unfinished-but-published recent David Foster Wallace novel.
Or I'll just skip reading all together and focus on Mad Men season 4 which so far has left me feeling sorry for Don Draper who seems to have to pay for sex.
Poor Don Draper.
Friday, April 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment