Thursday, September 25, 2008

things to do: get well

I am thiiiis close to an ear infection (hence the reason I can’t hear out of my left ear) and thiiis close to bronchitis according to my doctor. I’ve opted out of antibiotics for now as, according to Peter, my personality has returned so I must be feeling better. I’m on Mucinex D, 600 milligrams of ibuprofen, and more water than I ever thought I could possibly need. I’ve spent most of my infirmary watching seasons 5 and 6 of The West Wing and reading “Home” by Marilynne Robinson (see previous post where I urged everyone who hadn’t read “Gilead” to read it. This is a companion book. Heartbreakingly beautiful) though Peter did surprise me with a little treat: season 1 of Mad Men.

Woot. Woot.

I’m in love. The art direction of that show is incredible. The clothing, the sets, the 3 martini lunches, the way women are treated like doormats…sigh. We’re trying not to do what we always do which is breeze through it though the first night we were only supposed to watch 2 episodes and we ended up watching 3. We suck at moderation.

Let’s see…Sarah Palin now has all the foreign policy experience she needs thanks to a handful of photo-ops with various UN members and Henry Kissinger. Seeing the two of them together completely creeped me out. I would assume John McCain has ceased to suspend his campaign now that Congress has a bailout plan for Wall St. Too bad for him as I would suspect he was hoping to swoop in and save the economy singlehandedly. I found that whole charade so disingenuous. C’mon, John, everyone knows you’re 5-10 points behind Obama on just about every single economic issue these days. And it’s amazing to me that this government is capable of coming up with $700 billion to bail out Wall St. So what’s it going to take for our education system to be an emergency? What’s it going to take for our health care crisis to deserve this much attention? I just love that our entire economy is dependent upon borrowing: borrow money to buy a car, borrow money to buy a house, borrow money to buy more and more and more and more.

I’m starting to suspect I just don’t belong here.

3 comments:

metal said...

i originally read 'borrow money to buy a house'

metal said...

goddammit! HORSE

rebecca said...

can i borrow your horse? i want to be a ring-wraith for halloween.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazg%C3%BBl