Saturday, September 20, 2008

latest wildlife encounter: freaked out possum

I find it completely unfair the weather outside is practically perfect and I’m stuck inside at the library all day and coming down with something or suffering from really nasty allergies. My throat hurts and my sinuses are potentially troublesome. Not. Fair. I was considering pretending I feel just fine and attempting to rally but alas I have no one to rally with as it appears Peter has made plans to attend Autumnfest at NHB and the lesbians are up north at the cottage. The Traverac has left me a message on my phone which I suspect has something to do with a bike ride and I’m not quite sure I’m up for that much activity. Sitting around watching football? Yes. Biking to Saugatuck and back? No.

I guess I’ll just have to see.

I resisted buying any of the winter squashes today as I figure I’ll have my fill soon enough. Instead I focused on the last of the tomatoes, red peppers, kale, bibb lettuce, carrots and the most delicious potato in the world: the german butterball. I was also the recipient of 10 lbs of honeycrisp apples for a mere $7.50 thanks to a former coworker who went and picked them herself. I cannot get over how expensive they are in the store or even at the market. Rumor has it they keep for a year in the fridge.

Read Gilead by Marilynne Robinson if you haven’t yet.

You won’t be sorry.

No comments: