Thursday, March 13, 2008

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

Bertrand Russell.

It's a fine line, really.

The reading on Tuesday was pretty sweet. For someone who's a huge fan of NPR, I'm always surprised at how much I don't get into audio books. I like to read, I don't like being read to. I get bored and my mind wanders. Plus I'm not really a fan of readings given that authors are notoriously bad readers. I walked out with signed copies of both their books. And I got to watch an honest-to-God-real-live-published-poet genuinely congratulate Peter on his upcoming chapbook. And I got to watch Peter offer to send him a copy which the honest-to-God-real-live-published-poet said he'd love to receive.

Yeah. It was really cool.

The novelist was someone who's name I recognized, but I hadn't read his first book: Tony D'Souza. I ended up buying his latest book based on the short section he read. It involved a live pig in a trunk, a parking lot of a Jewell Osco, and 2 immigrants from India. Mr. D'Souza also happened to be born in 1974 which prompted me to spend a few seconds of his reading asking myself what the hell I'd been doing with my life. I'm a sucker for American immigrant stories so even though I had to shell out full price (even the author couldn't believe I bought it) I went for it. I'm about half through and it was worth the $26.00.

So now I'm in danger of being bookswamped. I'm currently reading the D'Souza, this collection edited by Ira Glass, and this strange book some patron must have recommended which is quite good. I also got the first translation of the Ovid I put on hold and the Chabon finally showed up after wandering around western Michigan for 2 weeks. This weekend I suspect I'll be spending some time reading.

If you haven't yet heard the Will Oldham cover of R. Kelly's "The World's Greatest" do yourself a favor. Find it. And make it your theme song.

3 comments:

kevdek said...

I wish I were in the position of too much to read. It seems I haven't read a book in an eternity. Part of this problem can be attributed to the terrible capabilities/selection/demand on my terrible public library and my frugality which prevents me from buying books. Honest to god - tell me to read a book. Tell me which book I should read and I'll read it. I'm pretty lost.

I love that there is buzz building around the release of peters book. I'd like an advance copy.

Speaking of advance copy, The Worlds Greatest has been my theme song for about nine months now. I love that disc.

erin said...

You are on GoodReads, Kevin, right? The combination of social networking and books is almost too much for me to handle. And what is this "terrible library" you speak of?! Chicago Public ain't no GRPL, but it ain't nothing to sneeze at, man!

Check out the Ira Glass. It's nonfiction and pretty sweet.

p said...

hey kevin, stop being a whiney little bitch. books are easy to locate and then read. or just shut up and watch cable.