Thursday, July 17, 2008

it was like the internet...only...real people...

Last night in a downpour Christina and I registered 4 people to vote.

Awesome does not begin to describe how it felt.

We were in a neighborhood we both always considered slightly sketchy and yet we met the most amazing people. We met an elderly Hispanic woman who we not only registered to vote for the first time in her life, but who offered us her extra umbrella as she was worried about us in the storm. We met a guy from Benton Harbor who was playing basketball outside who had just moved to town. We met a woman originally from LA who despite having a yard sign for Obama had not yet registered to vote here and was really grateful we stopped by. We registered a 18 year old who I think did it to piss off her parents which was pretty cool. We met tons of people who were already registered but who thanked us profusely for asking.

I'm so hooked. We didn't get a chance to finish our area so we're going back Saturday afternoon after we get all sweatshopped out making homemade pie crusts for next week's Obamarama Party.

Christina missed the beginning of the meeting where I sat next to a 75 year old woman who thought she was there for an organizational meeting but who decided to go out canvassing with another woman who I honestly cannot figure out how or why she loves Obama but she does. Toss in an Asian kid from Grand Valley, a Hispanic guy from Holland, and 2 older white women who thought I was some sort of god for having biked down there in the weather we were having. Hot. Brutally hot. It's like African Jungle Hot.

So I bought a planner and a composition notebook. The planner is absolutely necessary so I don't say I'll volunteer somewhere only to find out I'm actually working or have agreed to a baby shower or something. The composition notebook is my official campaign journal. This is going to be something else. And I don't want to forget a single person I encounter or moment I have.

Forget the kool aid. I think I might have found my calling.

No comments: