My friend Erica is writing a paper for a class she's taking and asked my opinion on whether digital media will spell the end for books. Never. Never ever. I say that not as someone who is against technological progress, mind you (though honestly, people, aren't
smartphones just a way to make ourselves feel more important than we are?), but rather as someone who has a deep and abiding love for physical books. And I'm fairly certain the original design cannot be improved upon. From the new book smell to the variety of typefaces to paper quality, cover designs and bindery options books really are more than just the words on a page. And though I can see the appeal of having the ability to carry around hundreds of books on one teeny device, I know the tactile experience of reading a physical copy of a book cannot be replicated digitally.
Convenience just isn't enough for me.
Says the woman who is currently looking for someone to teach her how to butcher a pig.
Yeesh.
No comments:
Post a Comment