I made chicken stock.
!!!!
Alright, it’s not really that big of a deal except I’d never done it before and though I’d heard it was super easy and totally worth it, I thought my Better than Boullion was sufficient nor do I frequently have a carcass of a chicken hanging around. Saturday I had 4 hours and a dead chicken carcass. It was glorious. The smell was so comforting. The taste was unparalleled. The stock tasted like chicken and celery and onion and garlic and carrot and pepper. It did not taste like chemicals and salt. Saturday night I served up chicken and dumplings (Peter’s new favorite meal). Deeeelicious!
I am officially a homemade stock convert. I will now be one of those people who saves bones in her freezer to use when necessary which sounds kind of vile to this former vegetarian, but the results are worth it.
Next up: consistent bread baking. I will make room in my new fridge (which I fear is significantly smaller than my old fridge) for this whole no-knead-bread business my friend keeps RAVING about. I have the book. I just need to do it.
I have 3 days left of work before I get 4 days off to move. Excessive? Maybe. But the sanity of myself and my loved ones is worth 4 days off. This move is gonna be smooth like jazz.
Monday, March 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment