I’m reading “The End of Overeating.” Much like “In Defense of Food,” I’m finding this book inspiring and yet horrifying. None of it is really new information: Americans are no longer eating actual food, but rather processed food-like products chock full of a delicious yet deadly and nutritionally wretched combination of fat, sugar, and salt. I’m up to the section on chain restaurant food and much like when I read “Fast Food Nation,” I’ve gotta say it’s gonna be a loooong time before I’m able to eat anything from either an Applebee’s or a McDonalds-we tend to think the bigger chains are better for us than fast food. They rarely are. Yes, Applebee’s at least has “healthy” options, but the practices of big chains have a huge impact on not only the environment, but also on what kinds of food are available. And the “healthy” options are such a small percentage of the overall menu. And most chain restaurants aren’t even really cooking the food. Everything-from the chicken to the burgers to the fries to the sauces-are cooked first (usually in oil), frozen, then shipped to the restaurant where foods are “assembled.” We have people in kitchens of restaurants who are assembling our food. Like a car.
Skeezes me out. Big time.
Thanks to this book (and the Pollen), I’m now being hyper-vigilant again about what I put in my mouth. I spent most of my day off yesterday reminding myself that the box of macaroni and cheese on the shelf was NOT food. It was chemicals and salt and nutritionally a nightmare. And it wouldn’t even taste good. It would be comforting, sure, but ultimately I wouldn’t be getting anything out of it.
So I made carrot ginger soup. Which RULED. It was comforting and spicy and perfect.
Here’s the recipe I used:
Classic Carrot Ginger Soup
vegan, serves 3
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp ginger, peeled and sliced thin (add more to taste)
1 1/2 bunches of stemmed carrots (about 9 medium carrots)
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cups soy milk
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbsp agave or maple syrup
1 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
tools: blender and soup pot.
Stove-top Procedure:Heat oil, 2 Tbsp broth, onions, ginger and garlic in soup pan. Saute for a minute or two. Add remaining broth, soy milk, pepper, honey, and carrots. Bring to a simmer. Heat until carrots are soft and will break with a fork. If soup seems too thick, add more broth to adjust consistency
Take off heat and blend with immersion blender.
As I ate some last night and am about to go home and eat the rest for supper, I’ll be making it again soon mostly because I made barely a dent in the CSA abundance of carrots we have and because I didn’t make enough to share with Peter.
Try it. You won’t be sorry.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Since I stopped eating fast food (and meat in general) years ago, I've kept myself from reading Pollan or other 'pop-activist-foodie type books.' Not that it isn't worthy information, it's that the books don't end up in the hands of those that need it most. I used to torture myself over this type of media but my question is this - by shouldering it, am i more or less smug than if I were to read it and quietly judge the ignorant masses at mcdonalds?
In other food news: Xtina is right now making me a birthday carrot cake using CSA organic carrots. I have tasted the batter - and it is good.
Our neighborhood is about to open the city's only (sad, I know) food co-op. They've already got 500 members and I think we'll join next month.
I'm finding it tough eating (or purchasing, rather) the way I know I should now that I'm not getting a whole foods discount and I have to watch my spending. We have to drive to the far west side polish supermarket to get what's closer to 'real' food. The store around the corner has nothing but chemicals masked as food. Eating 'right' is much more costly than I thought it was. I think the problem at hand may be as much about socioeconomics as it is food policy.
this is the longest comment I've ever left. I should be writing about the dylan show.
kevin you are a smug little bitch
YOU JUST RELIZED HOW EXPENSIVE IT IS?
Huh. Well, I find myself drawn to book based on my general interest in the subject matter. I'm not a huge reader of nonfiction usually, but food books-all kinds-I find fascinating. I'm also a member of the NPR/NYT crowd that frequently sucks Pollan and the like off on a regular basis. Do I judge people who choose to eat fast food? No. It's cheap, it's convenient, and if you haven't been exposed to actual food in a long time, it tastes good. Mostly, I guess, I don't spend a whole lot of time wondering how I'm being perceived for reading books like this. Or not reading books like this.
And, Kevin, REALLY?! You didn't REALIZE how expensive fresh produce is let alone ORGANIC produce?! I spend an awful lot of time pondering whether the $1.29 head of conventially grown romaine (which will yield more than 3 servings) is okay when my only other alternative is "organic baby romaine" distributed in a a plastic tub for $3.59--and that's only two servings.
Post a Comment