So. Ann Arbor.
Highlights:
The $3.50 Kussi oyster from Zingerman’s. Holy mouthful of sweet goodness. And the 2:30pm Grey Goose martini. Hey. I was on vacation.
Ashley’s. Of course. I had a Shorts Ooompa Loompa Licious IPA, a Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, a Founder’s Pale, and a…a…oh I can’t remember. It was good. Hand pulled.
Wilco. I got to say I might have had way too high expectations. The band sounded great, but something was just not right with Tweedy’s mic. He sounded muffled. And that was extremely frustrating given how much I love their lyrics. Plus I think we’ve been spoiled by the Ladies Literary Club in GR because Hill seemed HUGE. And they seemed so far away. And we were in the lame-o undergrad date night section. The encore ruled. Here’s the set list.
The Motel 6 on South State St. $59.99 and it kind of ruled. Seriously. Laminate wood flooring and decorated all 60s Mod-like. I was no fan of the very loud heater and the fact we ended up in a smoking room, but I’d go back in the heartbeat. Beats paying $125 to be less than a quarter mile closer.
The Cloverleaf. Amazing hashbrowns, amazing ham and cheese omelet, and amazing toast. Plus being able to overhear the conversation between some regulars (2 slumlords-we’re pretty sure.) and the most new aged out waitress I’d seen in a long time was worth it alone.
Motte and Bailey bookstore: A first edition second printing of “A supposedly fun thing I’ll never do again” for $12.50.
Dawntreader bookstore: A first edition Charles Simic book. Signed. I’m not saying how much I paid, but it was worth it.
The Cupcake Station: The PB&C cupcake was a revelation.
Underground Sounds: Best selection of new vinyl I have ever seen. I walked out with Daniel Johnston and Panda Bear. And the proprietor ruled.
Wazoo Records: Slighly overwhelming, but great location and decent new vinyl.
On our last day of mini-vacation we went to the Corner Record Shop where we snagged 2 used Will Oldham records and thought we’d gotten our record player fixed (I don’t want to talk about the amount of vinyl I have that I STILL can’t listen to) and saw Where the Wild Things Are which, of course, we're supposed to like because of Spike Jonze and Karen O and Dave Eggers. I liked it because it was so true to those original 10 sentences Maurice Sendak wrote, but expanded to just the right length. And Spike Jonze, Karen O and Dave Eggers were a perfect match.
It ain't my fault hipster shit is good.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
don't tip on the brownies.
that is all true. I have no money left because of records. tweedy's mic was off. it was wilco karoake for ME
Post a Comment