CHICAGO!
-I love you, Amtrak, but 2 ½ hours late into Chicago when I am a mere 7 minutes from Union Station just about killed me. I did manage to read one entire book: Michael Pollan’s “In Defense of Food.” It was inspiring.
-The Museum of Contemporary Art. I walked from the Mart to the museum and somehow managed to miss Michigan Ave. How? I know not. But I did still find the museum. It was smaller than I expected, but totally worth the walk.
-Drinking wine in a swanky showroom with Kevin and Becky. Because who gets to say they drank wine in a swanky showroom in the Merchandise Mart? Plus I got to see Kevin. I was told Peter and I are the only two people he knows who still buy music. I take that as a compliment.
-$2 PBR’s.
-La Gondola take-out. The.best.stuffed.gnocchi.ever. Pillows of heavenly potato-y goodness smothered in pesto. My mouth just started watering thinking about it.
-The BUS! I love taking the bus in Chicago. I’m afraid of the bus, but I love it. Next time I’m there I’m going to take it all on my own and pull the cord. Or at least I’m going to pull the cord.
-Myopic books, Reckless Records..oh, hell, I just love Wicker Park. I don’t care that it’s all trendied out.
-Whole Foods cheese counter. I got some sort of triple cream that I loved. Becky thought it tasted like ash. I thought it tasted like butter. I gotta say, though, being in that Whole Foods kind of made me insane. Granted it was 3:30pm on a Saturday, but holy hell. We were in loud, pushy, yuppie hell. I did get a Chicago dog. It was not as good as the Sandbar’s. Really.
-TRADER JOE’S! I would move into a Trader Joe’s if I could.
-Choosing not to stay on the couch watching a bad episode of Law and Order, but instead getting out and going to see “An Education.” Which was beautiful. Just charming and stunning and disturbing.
-MANICURE! My first. I’m officially not a fan of the color I got, but I am totally hooked. I cannot wait to go for my next one.
-MAKEOVER! At the Bobbi Brown counter at Macy’s. I did Chicago sooo cheap I ended up with quite a bit of money left over. Then I went to the Bobbi Brown counter at Macy’s and I didn’t have any money anymore. I regret nothing. My new lipgloss is delightful.
I heart Chicago. I am proud to say this was my THIRD trip this year-a new personal best. I wish I could make it back down there one more time before Christmas so I could walk Michigan Avenue and see all the pretty windows and not have any really good restaurants to eat at and enjoy the pushy obnoxious crowds…
You were right, Becky. That sounds like hell.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i wondered if you would remember that title.
Post a Comment