It’s still snowing. As we have a huge body of water directly next to us, the snowfall amounts are ranging from 4-10 inches by tomorrow afternoon.
Two weeks ago it was 70 degrees.
I watched “Who killed the electric car” yesterday. I was already in the not-so-popular camp here in Michigan of not supporting a bailout for the Big Three. Now? Absolutely not. No way. Forget it. I understand the whole ripple effect thing, but too bad. Let’s bring back the WPA. There are roads and bridges that need to be fixed. There are countless public works projects that could be accomplished. Instead of giving money to businesses that clearly are not interested in making any concessions or changing their business model despite them being a complete failure, let’s spend the money to put the people on the line in jobs that would help the country.
And the new unemployment numbers came out yesterday here in Michigan. Drumroll, please…..9.5%. Yay! We’re the big winners! This might have something to do with why I’ve been feeling so grateful lately. My job? Fairly secure. I mean, at least I’m not in Philly where they’ve had to permanently close 11 library branches. Our budget is tight, but no one is talking layoffs yet.
Other things on my mind:
Soup. I’ve been making a lot of soup. I want to continue to make a lot of soup. I made one the other day that was so good I felt kind of high. Boring ingredients: carrots, garbanzo beans, onions, and kale. Amazing spices: garlic, ginger, cumin, chilis, cinnamon. It was even better the next day.
Bread. I have everything I need to bake bread and yet I’m not doing it.
Knitting. Or rather doing something other than knitting. I finished monster project #1. I started monster project #2, but I think I need to do something else in addition to it. My hands are starting to feel arthritic. I have a couple of sewing projects I need to get done before Christmas. I think I need to change it up.
Thanksgiving. I have a reputation of making “unusual” dishes for Berghoef family potlucks. This year I’m thinking of making this cauliflower and Brussels sprouts gratin which is not nearly as healthy as last year’s roasted vegetables, but the thought of getting some of the Renzema girls to eat Brussels sprouts makes me filled with joy. Plus I’ll use the Romanesco broccoli which is always fun as it’s cool looking.
Baked goods vs Candy. I want to make up little things for various people. Coworkers, neighbors, friends, etc. I go back and forth between quick breads, cookies, and truffles. Quick breads are obviously the easiest, cookies are obviously the most safe, and truffles are obviously the most expensive and time-consuming. I need to make up my mind and start making stuff regardless as there are only 34 days until Christmas.
Not. panicking.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
hell yes to crazy broccoli. soups always taste better the next day.
Definitely no need to panic. "Who Killed the Electric Car" was eye-opening. I'm not sure what to think of the bailout. I'm absolutely against handing them a huge wad of cash. They haven't exactly proven to be the most trustworthy of public corporations. When an individual applies for a business loan, they must present a sound, detailed business model. At a minimum, detroit should also do this.
the big three can suck it
Post a Comment