Friday, July 8, 2011

let them eat pigface

It was one of those weeks where it felt like the majority of people were looking at a page and reading a page and reacting to a page and I was wondering why they were even looking at that particular book.

I came thiiiis close to defriending every single person who commented on/were upset by the Casey Anthony verdict.  And when the OJ Simpson photoshopped picture showed up I just about lost it.  It doesn't really matter what that woman did or didn't do.  She was probably a terribly mother, she possibly killed her daughter and she was definitely a pathological liar.  But at the end of the day, the burden of proof lies with the prosecution and though there were dots every person who obsessively watched cable news seemed to put together placing her squarely in the guilty category, the evidence was primarily circumstantial.  I know it seems to be a horrible case of injustice, but this case actually demonstrates how well our criminal justice system works. 

More importantly, this one single case managed to outrage what seemed to be all of America (especially those with a uterus..ahem) and yet-as young Berghoef so eloquently said-where's the outrage over a genocide in Africa?  Where's the outrage over a country's people starving? 

Makes.me.crazy.  And makes me wonder if this whole mess of country with its cable news obsessed culture deserves to collapse upon it's morbidly obese selves.

Wedding plans are progressing, I guess. There has been drama because even a wedding with only 12 people attending-including the two people getting married-has to have some sort of drama.  Number one reason why our original plan involved a courthouse and not revealing to anyone we got married. I'm starting to get way more excited about the Vermont party as a date is pretty much set and it looks like some good people from Michigan and Chicago are going to make the trip.  Which is awesome. I love showing off Vermont.

Next weekend we embark on our annual pilgrimage to Chicago for the Pitchfork Music Festival where it will either be blisteringly hot or pouring down rain or perfect.  There will be hipsters and fashion and good food (though this year I will NOT get the pad thai.  I feel like I dodged a bullet last year as Xtina ended up missing the last 2 days due to what was most likely food poisoning.  Shudder) and most importantly Animal Collective and Neko Case and Fleet Foxes and Ariel Pink and Woods and The Dismemberment Plan and Kurt Vile and OFWGKTA.  PLUS there's the Logan Square farmers market and maybe hopefully Lula's for brunch and possibly a small gathering on a rooftop and a reunion of Poe and Peter and a pigface for me from Girl and the Goat.

It's gonna be so sweet.