Oh, polenta. You are so delicious in my mouth. On our epic beercation, the lovely Joan reintroduced me to the tube o'polenta and since then I have been pondering how best to use it. Monday night I pulled out the Saturday market haul and made up a tasty treat. Sauteed garlic scapes and red onion with swiss chard, tomatoes, and cannellini beans. I fried up some polenta in the cast iron skillet, put some thin slices of Grassfield Farms gouda on top and stuck it under the broiler for a minute then topped it off with my mess of sauteed vegetables.
The picture doesn't do it justice. Nor can you see the polenta as it's buried under a mound of veggies. It was delicious.
Tomorrow night I'm going to try another version with whatever kind of beans I have left in the cupboard and goat cheese. And more swiss chard because swiss chard is the bombest of the bombs.
Strawberries are still going strong though this season I'm being pretty militant about eating organic strawberries since they are on the dirty dozen list and organic strawberries at the market are $3.50 a pint. Nonorganic strawberries? $3.50 a QUART. I'm sorry, but organic strawberries just taste better. They're little and expensive, but they don't leave that metallic pesticide taste in your mouth which always leaves me wondering if that bite was the bite that would eventually cause me to die an early death. Not to be dramatic or anything.
It has been pointed out to me that I've been not handling stress well lately. And there is a fair amount of stress around these days. Things are incredibly uncertain at work. There are going to be some fairly massive changes which I hope will ultimately be positive, but may also result in me being in a job I'm not too thrilled about. I started trying to plan a wedding that would make everyone happy, but ended up feeling like it was making everyone happy but the two people who mattered. This whole wedding thing is why people elope and one of reasons why I've never wanted to get married. I'm living in a town whose City Council voted against an ordinance protecting the LGBT community which just about broke my heart. Eventually, someday, we-have-no-idea-when we'll be moving downstairs which will be awesome, but not knowing when that's going to happen is..well..stressful.
This week I decided to go back to what I know. Running in the mornings, drinking gallons of water throughout the day, eating lots of real foods, and attempting to get sleep. I'm hoping with the running and consistently getting up around the same time regardless of the amount of sleep I've gotten the night before I'll eventually be so exhausted I'll have no choice but to fall asleep on my own.
If all else fails there's always gin and tonics.
Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You need to make your own polenta it is so much better then from a tube. I can see if my mom has a recipe for it. You will need a pot that can stand up to it though, I think Tina uses a cast iron pot that weighs about 400 pounds.
I made two strawberry blueberry pies with strawberries from Todd's mom's garden they were so much better then any store bought pesticide strawberries.
Also don't stress the wedding if you need to do it for YOU AND PETER...it is YOUR day...easier said though I would imagine.
Post a Comment