Thursday, July 14, 2011

new nephew alert: Silas James was born July 13, 2011!

Lucky Peach is the bomb.  I am obsessed.  I was planning on taking it to Chicago with me, but have recently decided I don't want to risk it getting wet/wrinkled/crushed/whathaveyoued. It is beautifully designed and so well written it makes me want to never write about food again because I am not worthy after reading Peter Meehan describe a tour of ramen shops he took in Toyoko with David Chang.  DAVID EFFING CHANG, PEOPLE!  My mythological husband Anthony Bourdain has a column that will appear in every issue.  Wylie Dufresne, David Chang, and Anthony Bourdain have a rambling conversation during which Wylie disses the farm-to-table movement! I haven't read that part yet, but Jesus Harold Christ, I'm fairly certain it's going to make me tingly in my girlie parts.  Though the first issue is primarily about ramen (Ruth REICHL reviews instant ramen packets!!!) there is this glorious section in that back that is devoted to my beloved egg.  60 minute eggs, perfect soft eggs, eggs beautiful eggs! It's food porn for food nerds.  Buy it.  BUY IT. And if you're lucky enough to have an ipad, it is or shall soon be available as an app.  I don't even really know what that means, but I'm seriously considering purchasing an ipad so I can get it. 

This Lucky Peach app thing.

A storm of epic proportions swept through Holland on Monday at 10:30am.  I know it was 10:30am because I happened to be in the library at the time. We lost power and a big old tree fell down right in front blocking River Avenue in both directions.  Pine Avenue looked like a Michael Bay movie with telephone poles and electrical wires crisscrossing the road. Power wasn't restored to the library until late Tuesday night (no, I didn't get the day off.  And no, I don't want to talk about how it all went down), but thankfully we had ours back on by Monday night around 5:30 allowing me to stop freaking out about my expensive meats and delicious cheeses I had in my fridge.  It's funny how much one takes electricity for granted until one no longer has it.  "I'm hot.  I'm going to turn on a fan.  Damn it!  I can't turn on a fan.  I know, I'll have a glass of ice water.  Damn it! I can't open the freezer."  Not so bright, this one. Thankfully, my foodstuffs were saved and resulted in a delicious Tuesday night supper of pesto pasta salad with goat cheese, kale salad with tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrette, and the once-a-year-because-it's-ridiculously-rich almond and cheese stuffed zucchini.  All served cold. Because it's been so stinkin' hot.

In an unexpected turn of events, instead of taking the train to Chicago this weekend, we are driving the car.  The car which now has four (4!) new tires. We're also taking our bikes because...drumroll please...we are going to bike around Chicago.  When we first bought tickets, I suggested we bike to Pitchfork.  For some reason, the all-biking-all-the-time Kevin was kind of meh about the idea. This week the alien that had clearly taken over his brain finally freed Kevin and we're back to biking!  I'm so psyched.  A little freaked out because I, uh, haven't been biking as much as I have in the past and I'll be biking in a kinda sorta big city. But Kevin happens to be a league cycling instructor which can only mean he'll shield me from making some sort of embarrassing lane faux pas.  And keep us to the less frightening streets.  And it's only 4 miles so I know I can do that physically.  And hopefully knowing I have to bike home at 10pm will keep me from underhydrating as it's gonna be all kinds of steamy in the Windy City this weekend.

The fact that the only beer available at Pitchfork is Heineken will also help as I'm not so much of a fan.

Did I mention I might be going to Hot Doug's too?  For a fois gras dog? And maybe hopefully Lula's for brunch on Saturday or Sunday?  And the perfect ending to the perfect weekend being a meal at Girl and the Goat?

To do:  pick up bikes from bike shop, pick up bike rack from Kari, swing by the beer store for some much deserved beer for Melissa, hit the VanTils to meet Silas, don't go to Butch's for a gin and tonic, pack for Chicago, enjoy what will surely be a glorious weekend of music and food and really good friends.

No comments: