Saturday, June 4, 2011

"every time a couple gets married, two single people die"

Words of wisdom from the one and only Leslie Knope.

Our camping beercation was awesome.  5 growlers of various Shorts and a 30 pack of PBR will keep 4 adults filled with beer for about a day and a half.  If you don't drink in the morning. Which I didn't.  Because our 5 growlers were filled with 5 different IPAs. So all I wanted in the morning was very strong coffee and water. I wish every morning started with a big pot of french press coffee and a delicious breakfast made by Joan.

The library is imploding. There are buyouts being offered. If buyouts are not taken, there will be layoffs. There is talk of a massive reorganization mid-August. There is talk of furlough days. There is talk of closing on Wednesday and Thursday nights. I'm showing up, working hard and keeping my head down.

Tomorrow is 8 hour brunch day, Monday is Yeasayer at the Majestic with Michael and Peter, Tuesday I'm off because Monday is Yeasayer at the Majestic with Michael and Peter. Tuesday night is supper with the Berghoef parents. Someday I'd like to see my bff. Someday I'd like to see my friend Molly. Someday I'd like to go to the beach. Someday I'd like to chillax to the max.

Foodwise, I was once again disappointed by a meal at Butch's. I might never learn. I was pleasantly surprised by a salmon blt at 8th St Grille. I'm already thinking about when I can go back and eat it again. I made a delicious salad of chilled steamed asparagus, broccoli, edamame and lettuce tossed with an herb vinaigrette and goat cheese. Don't do what I did and toss it all ahead of time. It's definitely better tossed at the last minute. Crane Dance bacon is back in my life. May I never have to live without it again.

I read Anthropology of an American Girl. Meh. People raved about that book. I found myself rushing to the end just so it was over. Never a good sign. I've moved on to some ya fiction:  the new Gary Schmidt book (half way done and it's very...Gary Schmidty. Good solid story with believable characters placed in slightly unrealistic situations with a "moral" slant) and and Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. She wrote Going Bovine which won the Printz award last year and I thought was quite good.  The description is delicious:  teenage beauty queens crash on a desert island.  A little Lost meets Lord of the Flies meets...teenage beauty queens.

I also need to finish my friend Hillary's book which I brought on the beercation with me where I managed to mix up the pages. And the pages aren't numbered.

Lesson learned:  manuscripts and beercations do not mix.

No comments: