I have been eating wretchedly. I mean, so horrifically I can't even tell you what I've been putting into my mouth. Without thinking, without tasting. Just stuffing my face with awfulness. Which is makes tonight's supper extra special superfantastic awesome:
Asparagus tofu stir-fry with carrots, kale and soba noodles and an obscene amount of garlic.
What also makes this an extra special superfantastic awesome supper is that it's the first time I have truly successfully stir-fried tofu. And asparagus. On an electric stove.
I started with a wok so hot it changed color. The bottom got all rainbow silvery before I splashed a glug of sesame oil (note: step back immediately unless you want the delightful experience of tiny scorching droplets of oil burning your arm hair. Just saying.) and then added the tofu. Also? If a piece of tofu falls on the ground and you decide to just keep going because stir-frying is most successful when done effortlessly and continuously just remember that stepping on tofu in bare feet is really, really gross. Like you stepped on an eyeball gross. Anyway, keep the wok moving constantly. Keep the tofu moving constantly. When it reaches that optimum golden hue crispy stage on all sides take it out of the wok and put it aside. Add another glug of oil, bring the heat back up and add the garlic. Do not stop moving the wok to keep the garlic from burning. Give a minute or two and add 1" pieces of asparagus and chopped carrots. Keep things moving around for 4ish minutes and add the chopped kale. Just before it's done add back in the tofu. A splash of shoyu, a hefty pour of fish sauce, and a fair amount of sriracha. Add in some just cooked soba noodles and stir it all up until it's all mixed together in a bowl of delicious.
Stir-frying isn't hard. In fact, it's the perfect cooking technique for an efficiency freak like myself. Chop and prep every single thing ahead of time and place in bowls based on cooking times. Heat wok, add all the ingredients and viola! The hard thing is mustering up the energy to do it (by the way, it took me only 25 minutes from start of prep to eating which makes this a perfectly easy meal to make on a school night) when all you want to do is wait for Peter to get home at 10:30 with road tacos.
It was worth it and way better than road tacos.
Tonight the Press Delete played at Uncommon Grounds in Saugatuck which is a big deal because they haven't played there before and it happens to be Waterfront Film Festival Weekend. I opted out for a couple of reasons. I have had an insanely social week. From 11 1/2 hour brunch to Yeasayer at the Majestic to dinner at Phil's to last night with Travistina (speaking of food, Christina made this bbq chicken pizza with a sourdough crust that was like a sex party in my mouth which sounds really, really filthy unless you were hanging out with us last night when we told them the lyrics to the song we had been listening to: "Sex Party" by Hush Hush) tonight was the first night I was home alone for more than a lunch break in over a week. Also tomorrow we become entrusted to care for Izzy the cutest chihuahua in the entire world for 2 1/2 whole days at our apartment and I thought I should at least attempt to make the apartment slightly less cluttered. Plus, I would really like to get to the market relatively early as the organic strawberries are gonna go fast and going to see the Press Delete play at a coffee shop most certainly would mean we'd end up at the Sandbar which would mean no organic strawberries for me.
Oh, and I'm hoping to find myself two hanging plants. For the front porch. 'Cause the front porch is all ours now that the downstairs apartment is vacant.
Hello, summer of 2011. I think we're going to get along just fine.
Friday, June 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
for reals!?-- YAY! i missed the rest of your post because i couldn't get past the title. ;)
For reals! This fall in Holland with a possible Vermont party sometime next year. It's just time!
Congrats!! Would happily drive north to celebrate with you two! ;) <3
Post a Comment