Thursday, March 26, 2009

the last call for aunt julie

Things that have happened this week I failed to mention as my internet time has been severely restricted ‘cause I got busted for being on the internet too much at work:

I went on home visits with my coworker Sue. This is where 2 totally intimidating library employees (Me: wearing legwarmers; Sue: 50-something short and smiley Irish Catholic woman) go knock on the doors of people who never returned anywhere from $150-$1000 worth of library materials and attempt to recover them. The good news: we didn’t get shot, bitten by a dog, or arrested for breaking and entering (the last could have been a possibility as Sue briefly contemplated going into a foreclosed home to see if amongst the ridiculous amount of trash strewn about we might find a cd or a dvd or two). The bad news: we recovered nothing. First two houses were empty (welcome to living in Michigan!), next two places we heard things like “well he lives in Detroit and he said he returned them things and I know you can steal outta that there box as I done it myself, I mean, I put ‘em back but you can steal shit outta there!” and the last place we saw a naked 60-something year old man. Thankfully we could only see to his waist. This was also the same neighborhood where I came up with what might be the title of Peter's next chapbook: 5 mexican children rolling down a hill. Good times.

I’m buying heirloom tomato and bean seeds and hopefully making raised beds. My coworker Alice brought me seed catalogues. I have dubbed them Veggie Porn.

Saturday night we went to Melissa and Reuben’s house for supper and cards. Neal was so chatty that at one point Melissa took him from Peter thinking he was crying. He was not. He was just.that.vocal. An hour later we wished we could tell Neal that he was truly in the most perfect place nestled up against his Momma wrapped in an afghan and having a bottle. That child is amazing. The same night Reuben blindsided us into taking Poe. JUST FOR A WEEK! But if it works out with Grace we’re going to keep her. And if it doesn’t work out there’s going to be a really cute slightly skittish long haired kitty up for adoption.

A poem I wrote a very long time ago came out in print this week. It’s kind of cool seeing my name in print, but I really hate the publication and quite honestly am not that fond of the poem any more.

The blog title is thanks to a very special episode of Seventh Heaven during which, you’ll be surprised to learn, Aunt Julie has become an alcoholic and strangles Simon in an attempt to get the liquor cabinet key away from him. This episode taught me never to stop drinking as the withdrawal symptoms appear to be awfully similar to what I imagine the withdrawal symptoms are for heroin.

3 comments:

p said...

or you may as well just get into heroin

metal said...

alternative title for next chapbook: filling my stilettos. oh wait, that one is already taken by whoever drives the car parked in front of the law school with signs on both sides saying "filling my stilettos: a book of poetry for the grown and sexy" and also information about obtaining a copy.

kevdek said...

I'm a bit surprised the library would send you on such a mission. I mean, everyone steals out of that drop box, right?

kitty up for adoption? perhaps we should discuss.