Monday, March 16, 2009

choosing to get married is like sitting at the whites only lunch counter

Good hollandaise sauce can be a spiritual experience.
As can homemade sausage.
And vegan cookies.
And shallots.

Bonnie Prince Billy at the Vic ranks somewhere in the top 3 best shows I have ever seen. It might have had something to do with being in the fourth row, but more likely it had something to do with his awesomeness.

I barely recognized Chicago. And I’m still not over $2.25 WITHOUT a TRANSFER for the CTA. What I did recognize was that feeling I get whenever I’m in a city: pure love. I love walking from neighborhood to neighborhood. I love the architecture. I love how there is always something going on somewhere. I love the variety of people. What I didn’t love was how gentrified everything felt. Wicker Park was, uh, slightly different than I remember. Marc Jacobs? BCBG? Steve Madden?!? Thankfully there are still places like Myopic Books and Reckless Records nestled amongst the Starbucks and the soon-to-open Jimmy Johns. Next time I would like to see in the daylight what happened to my old stomping grounds around Belmont and Sheffield.

And by “next time” I hope it to be sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

kevdek said...

we totally should have gone over to your old house and explored the neighborhood. We'll do that next time.