Saturday, May 17, 2008

the promised land is on the horizon

Even I can't believe I wasn't in GR for Edwards' endorsement Wednesday night. We found out Obama was going to be in town the day before and I kept saying I didn't care I had to work as I am sure he'll be back this fall. Most local stations carried the speech (I hear Edwards was quite VP-like), but alas I missed the whole thing. I'm still a little stunned a "liberal" Democrat sold out Van Andel and then some. It was reported over 1,000 people were turned away or had to stand outside and listen. Daaaaang. The next day McCain announced he'd be swinging through west Michigan sometime soon for a fundraiser which is a slightly lame counter to Obama's 12,000 plus people who showed up and got to see him for free. I was an Edwards fan first. And my heart skips a beat every time I think of the possibility that a young-white-man-from-the-south will run alongside a young-black-man-from-the-midwest.

My job Wednesday night consisted of sitting in the basement of the library watching King Corn with 40 adults. Good movie, by the way. HFCS has always been one of those things I kinda pushed to the back of my mind as it's in freaking EVERYTHING, but no more. Goodbye, Heintz ketchup! Goodbye Starbucks Frappachinos! So long, just about every single cereal from Kelloggs! Anyway, it was a great group of diverse people. We had a woman from a local CSA there to talk about small organic farming vs big bad industrial farming and someone from the county health department to talk about the effects of HFCS on diets. Next we're showing Crude Awakening.

My bike is officially back on the road as of this morning, speaking of unnecessary oil consumption. Man, I love my bike. I totally overcompensated for the time it would take and ended up at work 20 minutes early. My only problem now? I went to the market during my morning break and ended up with 2 pounds of asparagus, some leftover potatoes from last year, a dozen eggs, a tomato, some green onions and some good local cheese (hello, frittata for supper tonight!). I was sad to get there too late to snag another pint of strawberries, but thankfully my parents sent me a huge edible bouquet of fruit today at work which is amazing! Unfortunately, I'm going to be a little loaded down on my ride home unless Peter makes an appearance at the library soon.

Christina and I are starting to get ridiculously psyched about our trip next week. Everyone keeps asking us what we're going to do and we're just not sure yet. Burlington multiple times, I'm sure. Maybe a trip to Stowe. Definitely a trip to Boyden Valley winery. Hopefully a trip to Castleton so I can finally meet Kris and covet her sweet life I always thought I'd end up living. Trips to huge barns filled with used books. Probably some trips to sweet yarn stores. Lots of porch sitting. Lots of cooking good food. Lots of hanging out with the parents. I have no doubt once again I will have that "Why exactly am I not living here" feeling.

1 comment:

Old Gates Farm said...

yay!

and congrats on the poems!

and sounds like a great movie. i'll have to find that one.