Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"birth and copulation and death, that's all the facts when you get to brass tacks" t.s. eliot

I took a nap. I'm lame.

BUT I also got 2 lights and a portable pump for my bike. AND made an impromptu trip to The Corner Record Shop with the record player in hand. A new needle, a new cartridge, and a mere $12.00 later the record player is working. It sounds better than ever. The first song played was Fanfare for the Common Man which was oddly appropriate. We got some Odetta, some Woody Guthrie, some Sesame Street, and my all time favorite if only for the best liner notes I have ever read: Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On:

I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH SEX BETWEEN CONSENTING ANYBODIES. I THINK WE MAKE FAR TOO MUCH OF IT. AFTER ALL, ONE'S GENITALS ARE JUST ONE IMPORTANT PART OF THE MAGNIFICENT HUMAN BODY. I HAVE NO ARGUMENT WITH THE ESSENTIAL PART THEY PLAY IN THE REPRODUCTION OF THE SPECIES; HOWEVER, THE REPRODUCTIVE PROCESS HAS BEEN ASSURED BY THE PLEASURE BOTH PARTIES RECEIVE WHEN THEY ENGAGE IN IT. I CONTEND THAT SEX IS SEX AND LOVE IS LOVE. WHEN COMBINED, THEY WORK WELL TOGETHER, IF TWO PEOPLE ARE OF ABOUT THE SAME MIND. BUT, THEY ARE REALLY TWO DISCRETE NEEDS AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. TIME AND SPACE WILL NOT PERMIT ME TO EXPOUND FURTHER, ESPECIALLY IN THE AREA OF THE PSYCHE. I DON'T BELIEVE IN OVERLY MORALISTIC PHILOSOPHIES. HAVE YOUR SEX, IT CAN BE VERY EXCITING, IF YOU'RE LUCKY. I HOPE THE MUSIC THAT I PRESENT HERE MAKES YOU LUCKY.

Sorry for the caps. I'm too lazy to actually type all that out. But you get the idea. We are in vinyl heaven. We have I'm Not There to listen to. There's some Bonnie "Prince" Billy, some Devendra Banhart, some Wilco...If you don't hear from us anytime soon just come over and listen to some records with us.

So I may or may not have Thursday off. It seems the city will be shutting our water off downtown. In the past, when this has occurred, we just shut down for the day. This time the powers that be think it would be best to send some or all of us to the branch for some or part of the day. This.would.be.HILARIOUS. First of all, the branch is teeny. Teeny tiny teeny. I mean, there isn't enough room for all the people who actually WORK at the branch to fit comfortably in the space. Now add a bunch of angry, disgruntled, overweight downtown employees who don't really like to work. There are soooo many rumors flying around. Not everyone will go only union employees and only the union employees with the lowest seniority. No union employees will go only pages will go. It will be based on what area you work so if you're from AV you'll be cleaning cds and dvds (where? I know not. There is no room for such an operation) and if you're from circ you'll be working the desk (where? I know not. There are only 3 stations and the entire branch staff will be working) or some of you will be working for a few hours in the garden. It's a hoot. A hoot and a half. I can't wait.

I might have had too much coffee today.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

if i bring home boatloads of fabric you need to outline the basics for me, ok?