Thursday, May 8, 2008

maybe i'm just lacking perspective

I don't get sick very often and when I do I'm usually functional within a day. Tuesday morning I woke up with a head full of nastiness. I managed to drive myself around to pick up necessities and, of course, I voted. I spent the afternoon lying on the futon reading and sleeping. I said if things weren't better by Wednesday morning I'd go to the doctor. Overnight I developed a cough. I called in sick a second day and went to the doctor who, despite my pleas of no-really-give-me-the-antibiotics as I haven't been on them in over 5 years, denied me the good drugs and sent me off with a prescription for some sort of super duper decongestant and a saline nasal spray. I may have been sobbing by the time I got home. Okay, I was sobbing. I blame the fever of 101. By 9pm last night I was down to 99.5 and thanks to Tylenol PM slept well for the first time since Monday.

I still have a fever and I get chills and my head is pretty nasty but I am back at work. On the wise advice of my mother I'm going to make some chicken soup tonight for supper. I've already tried Amy's Organic No Chicken Noodle Soup, but I suspect there's something to the whole dead animal thing that is necessary for proper recovery.

I've watched aLOT of movies this week. Alien, Pulp Fiction, I'm Not There, Friends With Money, Funny Face...It's been something else. I also finished The Stone Gods which was an extra special read with a fever. I don't usually read science fiction. It's just not my gig, but this book was something else. Enjoyably mindbending. I started the new Joyce Carol Oates last night but it just didn't click. I did just pick up Chronicles, but I need to get on Goodreads to find me some fiction.

And as far as listening goes, we're now in possession of She and Him which is just delightful. That we both have a crush on Zooey Deschanel might have something to do our enjoyment. It's all retro and pretty. We also, uh, got a copy, of the, um, new Silver Jews album, which so far I really really like. David Berman done got himself some confidence and you can totally tell on this album. The next big thing on the radar is the Beck/Danger Mouse/Cat Power extravaganza. I can't wait. He's touring Europe this summer, but I'd bet this fall he'll be touring here and I'm in.

Tim Russert got out his dry erase boards last night on NBC Nightly News. It is statistically impossible for Hillary to get enough delegates to even come close to getting the nomination. So, what exactly is her deal? Is she trying to destroy Obama, throwing the election to McCain thereby allowing her to come back in 2012 when McCain would be waaay too old to run for reelection? Or is she delusional? Does she honestly think the American people will stand for her winning by strong-arming the superdelegates (which of course they will as we stood for a stolen election, an illegal war, and a crumbling of our civil liberties)? I don't get it. I really don't.

Locally, the airport milage somehow managed to pass everywhere but Holland Twp. For those of you not familiar with this issue--Holland has a private airport in town and this year they asked for taxpayers to pony up to pay for a new terminal and some new positions. The supporters claimed it would "bring jobs to Holland." How? Who knows. It's a private airport. It shouldn't be subsidized with taxpayer money. Now that it passed, I hope they're right. I honestly never thought that it had a chance in hell of passing which only goes to show how insular I tend to be.

Thankfully, Peter has recently introduced me to the beauty of local AM talk radio. It's like the anti-NPR.

2 comments:

kevdek said...

I got the 'she and him' album a couple of weeks ago and am totally into it - a very pleasant find indeed. I need to know your impressions of the silver jews album.

rebecca said...

i need you to call me and tell me about your farmers market adventures and give me some canning advice.

she cancelled, btw. so it wasn't even an issue. maybe that's better. who knows?