Two weeks ago we hosted brunch. I love brunch. Brunch makes January better. Brunch means chorizo and potatoes with baked eggs. Brunch means Joan's Bloody Marys. Brunch means flan. Brunch means good friends getting together on a Sunday for about 7 hours. Brunch means all things awesome.
Until the day after brunch when you have post-brunch blues.
The day after brunch my friend, Julie, came upstairs a-glow and full of energy. She had recently started running on a treadmill at home, was eating better, and as a result had lost a bit of weight. She somehow got me to agree to go for a 30 minute run that night and if I didn't go, I had to pay her $5.00.
It has now been almost 14 days and I have run all but 2 days.
We have devised a ridiculous plan that involves me taking sweaty pictures of myself to prove I ran and and if I don't, I owe her money. Week 1: $5 Week 2: $10 Week 3: $15 Week 4: $20. I'm fast approaching week 3 (gulp) and so far so good. And guess what? I feel about 1000 times better! And I've lost a little weight! And 30 minutes really isn't all that long! I got a membership to the Aquatic Center in town-which has a small gym with weights and a couple of treadmills-so there are no excuses. And February 18th she and I are going to tackle a 5K downtown.
It's going to be awesome.
I've also started giving myself permission to "Feel Time" as my friend Ivy would say. My brain is hardwired to always think about what I "should" be doing. "I should clean the bathroom. I should do the laundry. I should clean the kitchen floor. I should go grocery shopping. I should I should I should." All this should-ing makes me feel like I have no control of my life and like a failure when I don't do what I "should." Epic mental health fail! Giving myself permission to Feel Time seems like the perfect medicine.
My latest television obsession is A Cook's Tour with Anthony Bourdain. omg. omg. omg. I was excited about seeing my mythological husband (NEXT SUNDAY FEBRUARY 19TH!!!!) and his good friend Eric Ripert, but now I'm crazy, ridiculous, insanely excited! The episode on The French Laundry was so effing good I have now redoubled my efforts to get out there and eat at The French Laundry. His bbq episode made me want to go to North Caroline, like, NOW and eat east and west NC bbq. I absolutely love it and him and am already mourning it being over. I don't care that it's dated. I don't care that he can be cheesy and too personal. It's the best kind of food show.
Tonight we go to a wedding potluck/open house/reception thing for friends of ours who were inspired by us getting married last fall so it's low key and growler-filled. After that we have one of those birthday parties to go to that could be awesomely fun or horrifically overcrowded. Either way I'm determined to not be Kara-ed and Sohan-ed. None of this walking home at 4am thing. None of this just-one-more.
I've got $10 on the line.
No comments:
Post a Comment