Friday, February 17, 2012

i'm afraid of twitter the same way i'm afraid of bangkok

Ever find yourself obsessively checking facebook? Or Pinterest? Or, in my case, both? And you swear you're going to only check it once this hour, but then you're waiting in line at the grocery store or for water to boil or for a commercial to be over and before you even know what's happening you're staring at your feed and it looks exactly the way it did less than 5 minutes ago?

Sounds like someone needs to join twitter, right?

I signed up for an account awhile ago and was so overwhelmed by the #hashtags and the @ing and the lists and the whatnot and did nothing but sign up and start following Patton Oswalt, Anthony Bourdain, and Cory Doctorow. 

I recently starting feeling a bit like a moron for not embracing twitter. Afraid of technology that has already been embraced by the mainstream?  Puleeeese. What am I?  A 60 year old librarian?  Today I got back on there, did a little reading, started adding some celebrity-type people and some real-life people and downloaded the app to my phone. 

I gotta say, I'm digging it.  I have yet to tweet. Or retweet. But I do enjoy the format. And that twitter actually encourages obsessively checking it will work out in my favor methinks.

In news not related to Erin being 5 years late to a technology party: 

8th St Grille just added 6 more taps bringing them to a grand total of 27.

Sharon Van Etten was disappointing. Bad sound quality (unHEARD of at the Ladies Lit Club) and just kind of boring.  Only the 2nd time I've ever walked out of a show at that venue.

Tomorrow Julie and I are running a 5K!

Sunday I have the pleasure of dining at Bistro Bella Vita with my wonderful sister-in-law and then spending the evening hanging on every word uttered by Eric Ripert and Anthony Bourdain!

As usual, it looks like Peter and I will be unable to hit up Chicago together this spring.  Again. I was going to just skip it, but I realized I was looking at not getting the heck outta town until our camping trip in May.  Despite it being the same weekend as that ridiculous "holiday" I prefer to call "Amateurs and Assholes Get Drunk In Public," I think I'm going to do it.  Hit up the old Amtrak on Friday and come back either Sunday night or Monday night depending upon the availability of the Chicago folks.  

Thoughts, Chicago folks?


1 comment:

kevdek said...

I have a brand new bedroom waiting for you! Would love to see you again soon!