We had no keys. We had no phones. And the guy who'd been living downstairs had moved out that day.
I went around to the back to double check our back door. Yeah. It was locked. I kept looking over at our landlord's house and despite the late hour there were still lights on. I was going to have to walk over there and knock on their door and apologize and ask for keys. I really, really, really didn't want to do that. Peter said he'd check the car for something to try and break in with. As he walked to the garage he thought to himself, "Maybe...just maybe...the back door to the downstairs apartment might be unlocked....the chance is one in a million, but maybe...."
Peter walked out the front door 2 1/2 minutes later. I thought it was a miracle. I thought he had fashioned a key out of a spring from a ballpoint pen and an old straw MacGyver-style. I thought maybe he crawled through a magic window that I had never noticed before. I thought maybe he had walked through a wall because there was no other possible logical explanation to how he had gotten us out of the mess I had gotten us into.
If the roles had been reversed, I'm fairly certain I would not have been nearly as cool as Peter was. We were both coming off really long days with very little sleep the night before. We had a family party for which we needed to look slightly better than usual the next day as there were going to be family pictures. I would have mocked him. I would have made him go next door immediately and get a key. I would have been enraged.
I am one incredibly lucky gal.
Plus he now gets to lord this over me for the rest of our lives. "Remember that night YOU locked us out of the house at 1am? I always thought it would be ME who did that, but it was YOU! HAHAHAHA!"
1 comment:
Good man. That's what you get for thinking schlubby.
Post a Comment