One of my favorite things to complain about is how we don't have a single good place to eat supper out in Holland. There are a few decent places. We have decent Mexican, Thai, and Japanese food. The Piper is decent, but I don't always want to drop $20 on an entree. Same thing goes for Pereddies plus they can also be spotty and I hate paying too much for Italian food. I do love me some Russ' but honestly I think it's just because I love the novelty of ordering food by phone and two people can get out of there for under $20. There are a plethora of mediocre places: Curraugh, NHB, 8th St Grille, 84 East, Boatwerks, Butch's all come to mind. And then there's the slew of chains on the north side which I pretty much refuse to go to. Where is the restaurant that is reasonably priced with an interesting menu that serves alcohol?
I think I have found it.
The Itty Bitty Bar on Ottawa Beach Road.
I still think it's a stupid name for a bar, but I am officially able to over look that after eating there last night.
Their menu is exactly what I'm looking for. They have roasted effing bone marrow on the menu as an appetizer. ROASTED BONE MARROW IS FOOD FOR THE GODS. The number one recommendation we received from the bartenders was to order the burger (neither of us did, but we'll be back..) because it's popular and only $6.50 with the most amazing hand cut french fries. I ended up with the chicken and waffles which wasn't even one of the three I was originally trying to choose from, but the bartender said she didn't even like waffles and she loved the dish. It was unfreakingbelievable. Buttermilk soaked fried chicken on top of 4 vanilla waffles (that could have been slightly crispier, but that's my only complaint!) and served with bourbon blueberry maple syrup and a side of goat cheese creme fraiche.
I dreamt about it last night.
Lobster mac and cheese and fish tacos and mini pulled pork sliders on homemade pretzel bread buns and a mini meatloaf and risotto. Made to order. RISOTTO MADE TO ORDER THE WAY RISOTTO SHOULD ALWAYS BE MADE. Their specials change every few days and are listed on their website.
I went there years ago when it was an Italian restaurant (Pontoni's? Was it called Pontoni's?) and it is unrecognizable to me. To call the decor understaded is...well...an understatement. We sat on the bar side which is pretty dark with lots of big screen tvs and barstools (with backs!) that look like they've been there awhile. The "restaurant" side has another smaller bar and-at least during the summer-is open to the front and the back.
The parking situation is pretty wretched. We actually drove past once because it looked as if there were no spaces available. By the time we came back a space up front had opened up. The bartender assured us there was additional parking in the back which is definitely not made clear by all of the "Don't park in this field or you will get towed!" signs everywhere. We were told you could drive in the field to get to the back parking.
The clientele, at least on the bar side, seemed a bit...40 year old divorced men smarmy. To me. With a dash of mid-30 something women who've had too much obvious plastic surgery. Peter and I could not stop ourselves from staring at this one woman who had the most frightening fake lips I have ever seen. And rumor has it the place can get packed and rowdy later at night.
The only other drawback?
It's on the north side. I hate the north side. It's also in Park Township. And I really hate Park Township. I am willing to overlook these flaws if the food continues be good and judging by the menu I think it's going to to be good.
Roasted bone marrow? You're next.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment