Sunday started off with me hacking apart some pheasants a friend of mine shot. Did you know that even if they’re “clean” they’re not CLEAN? I spent some time cleaning off feathers and hunting for bbs. I wish I had watched Kevin-from-Top-Chef’s little tutorial about cutting up a chicken right before as it took me one pheasant to really get the hang of the butchering process. I also had a moment of panic when I came across a breast that was bloody-ish and oddly textured due to it being shot right through. A vague memory of a Little House on the Prairie episode where Pa said something about NOT eating the part with blood through it so I carefully cut around it. I went with my gut. My gut said no bloody meat.
Sunday afternoon we went to the VanTils and hung with the fam. I was Neal’s favorite for some reason. There’s a picture of Erin and Neal inside a very teeny tent. We also colored. And giggled. And read books. And caught “Neal’s guys” as they were rolling down a “ramp.”
Sunday night I learned that six people total are all I can have around my table for a sit down meal. In fact, I was seated in the rocking chair as I only have five chairs. Yeah. I need another chair. But the food was fabulous if I do say so myself: Roasted butternut squash and acorn soup with maple syrup, cinnamon and cayenne, asian pear and toasted walnut salad with homemade honey mustard dressing topped with seriously sharp cabot cheddar, brussles sprouts 2 ways-roasted in bacon fat with balsamic and braised in cream-, mashed potatoes and pheasant stew. Dessert was brought to us by Dan and Chip: apple bread pudding with homemade salted caramel sauce.
Sunday suppers are my favorite thing. Next time I’m more apt to do a late afternoon kind of deal, but I’m hoping it will become sort of a thing around these parts. Sharing a big delicious meal with friends is the way to go. And I know there are at least a couple of more people who would be more than happy to share a meal like this (Steve: I’m talking about you. And Taylor. Though Oxtail soup might be next in which case you’re not invited. Just Taylor.) Plus brunch was mentioned and I do love me some Sunday brunch especially if I get to drink out of bearded mugs.
The rest of the week was rough. I usually find my job fairly effortless, but for some reason this week kicked me in the teeth. The one bright spot was Tuesday night where I had a lovely time sitting at Butch’s with Peter drinking a Café Fiesta (tequila and coffee liqueur-the thought of which made my stomach turn, but it was delicious!) and chatting with Lance the bartender.
This weekend is insane. Carl is in town from NYC and crashing on our futon. We’re going to GR tonight to spend the night at the VanTils and go to Meijer Gardens tomorrow for the last day of the Chihuly exhibit. And make applesauce. Saturday night Kevin and Xtina are in town from Chicago and I’m hoping to catch a meal with them. Sunday Carl leaves, Peter works, and Erin will spend the afternoon not talking to anyone, working on Hand made Christmas waiting for Nature to come on at 8pm. Corvids are the topic. And I’ve got some opinions about them evil, evil birds.
Friday, October 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment