Monday, October 11, 2010

this is what we call a perfect sunday

An ambling ride up Chicago Drive to the Corner Record shop which resulted in a copy of The White Stripes’ De Stijl and a Richard DeVos record for $1 entitled Selling America. I haven’t heard the DeVos yet, but the cover is special. There might need to be a special listening party for Holland’s Cultural Elite. Oxtail stew will be on the menu.

Lunch at The Green Well. No fewer than 9,672 people have suggested this place to me. I finally went. It was amazing. The mussels were the best I’ve had since NYC. Peter’s tomato soup was a particular highlight though my braised pork with creamy polenta were also delicious. I’d go back in a heartbeat.

Not going to ArtPrize, but instead finding parking on the dodgy end of Division right in front of Vertigo. Highlights included seeing Raleigh for the first time in 2 years, Coltrane’s Lush Life, MGMT, The Letting Go by BPB, and 2 free movie tickets.

Schuller’s. We wanted to go to Literary Life, but alas, they’re closed on Sundays. Schuller was the next best thing.

Seeing Legends of the Guardian. Yeah, that’s right, I’m talking about the owl movie. Peter’s choice, but a good one. We wanted to see a movie. We didn’t want to see anything…well…good. It actually was good. It had a decent Joseph Campbellesque myth story and the owl fights were great. Seriously. Do yourself a favor and skip The Social Network on the big screen (honestly, you can see that on DVD) and go see some badass owl battles.

Finishing Top Chef NYC while eating Papa John’s pizza. Because nothing says foodie like garlic butter dipping sauce from the papa.


I was hoping such awesomeness yesterday would result in a stellar start to my work week. Foolish, Erin. Work is a separate little hell all its own. Between the computers being up then down then up then down then up again, having to input a bunch of checkouts and the whole time being interrupted with questions half of which did not specifically pertain to my job, I started to wonder if maybe there was a full moon. Nope. Just Erin being too competent again. I know my impatience is a direct result of a bad night of sleeping. When one takes 2 Benedrylls at 11:30pm one expects to be knocked out for 7 ½ hours. Instead I was awake until at least 1:30ish only to wake up again at 3am. I seriously considered getting up. I guess I’m glad I didn’t.

No comments: