Currently residing in my freezer:
1 chicken carcass
9 chicken feet
3 packages of organic chicken thighs
1 oxtail
2 lamb shanks
1 beef soup bone
1 package of pig necks
1 lb of ground lamb
1 lb of bacon
I’ve somehow managed to squeeze in 1 gallon bag of blueberries, sweet corn, peppers, and an ongoing bag of vegetable scraps for stock as well.
I’m in a cooking sort of mood. Can you tell?
This weekend I made vegetable stock for the first time (thanks to Xtina suggesting I put my scraps in a bag in the freezer) which then led to a kale and white bean soup. Sunday I made a roast in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots and onions. I also made gravy. Which ruled. If I do say so myself. I, for some reason, have always looked down upon the crockpot. I am here to say I was wrong. Not only is it 100 times more energy efficient than my oven, it’s 100 time easier. There are things I still will not do. A whole chicken belongs in the oven. But thighs? Thighs I could do in the crockpot. The lamb shanks I’d prefer to do in a dutch oven (which I’ve been pricing at TJ Maxx. It’s going to be my own little present to myself.), but the oxtail is absolutely being made in the crockpot.
My name is Erin. And I was wrong. The crockpot is a glorious invention.
In other food news, Rebecca and I went to Butch’s where I had the most delicious scallops I have ever encountered. The bacon apple risotto was meh, but the scallops were outstanding. The crab stuffed portabello was good in theory, but a wee bit cold. We came thiiis close to sending it back. I need to get into sending things back.
I’ve been asked by a server to help her come up with some vegetarian suggestions per the chef’s request. I have until tomorrow night. I can tell I’ve not just fallen off the vegetarian wagon, I’ve jumped on board the meat train as every thing I come up with sounds great until I realize I want frites in duck fat. Or black beans. With pork.
My vegetarian friends: I remember with fondness my wonderful years having a near 100% plant based diet. I remember how satisfying and eclectic my diet was. I remember how superior I felt. And I did feel superior. I still think vegetarians should feel superior. It’s better for you. It’s better for the environment. It’s just better.
But, my vegetarian friends: meat tastes good. I am weak. You are strong. I'll think about how delicious brussels sprouts are all by themselves as I'm enjoying my brussels sprouts roasted in bacon fat.
Monday, September 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment