I am so tricksy.
I made lasagna last night. I made healthier lasagna last night: double the spinach and half the cheese (and fewer noodles too, but don’t tell Peter because he’s already mad I tricked him into eating more vegetables and less cheese than he thought he was eating.) I credit my success to 2 things:
I “made” my own sauce. Okay, okay I didn’t completely make my own sauce. I used one jar of organic no-sugar-added tomato sauce, but doctored it up. Sauteed garlic, crushed San Marzano tomatoes, and a delicate hand with spices go a loooong way to improving a sauce.
I substituted some really good grated parmesan and/or romano for some shredded mozzarella. Small amounts of really good full flavored cheese will yield far superior tastes to watery fakey shredded mozzarella. Don’t get me wrong: I used some watery fakey shredded mozzarella in there too (and light cheese at that), but the majority of cheese was the good stuff.
In other food related news, I’m officially a baker of bread. We’ve made the switch from buying bread (what ARE some of those ingredients in “whole wheat” bread anyway?!?!) to me baking it every week. I’m still not in love love love with the texture. The crumb is a little dense. But the flavor is crazy healthy. I mean, you bite into this bread and you think to yourself “Dang! I am eating me some healthy bread!” Yesterday I whipped up a half batch of olive oil whole wheat dough half of which I intend to make into a caramelized onion, pear and gorgonzola pizza tonight. My next bread batch I’m adding ground flaxseed. Just watch me.
In other nonfood related news, Rebecca came into down and left me with an air conditioner and an adorable little desk. She also left me longing to hang out with her more. I’ve watched 4 episodes of the first season of Glee and huge surprise I love it. The federal government sent me a letter telling me they had found an error on my taxes in my favor (!!!) and I done got my money this week (!!!!). I’m successfully managing to a 40 minute run/walk at least every other day. I’ve started reading Underworld by DeLillo and it is crazy insanely awesome and I wish I could take a week off from life to read it in one felled swoop.
But most importantly: Tulip Time has begun and not only do I not hate it, I actually kind of love it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment