Yesterday was the first day of the farmers market.
Woo hoo!
The haul included: 3 lbs of asparagus (from 2 different farmers), 1 loaf of bread (I need to buy yeast!), ½ lb of spinach, and 1 lb of the most amazing bacon ever.
The bacon came from Crane Dance Farm in Middleville-a new vendor to Holland. It was a complete impulse buy. I’d been wanting some bacon in the house for awhile, but everything at Meijer just seemed…gross. All processed by ConAgra, full of nitrates and god knows what. This is nitrate-free and though not certified organic the closest I’m going to get. It’s also insanely expensive at $7/lb, but worth it. I cannot wait to make a BLT with heirloom tomatoes on homemade bread with market lettuce from that one family vendor whose name I can never remember….Botsma? Boersma? South east side 1/3 of the way from River….Anyway, it’s gonna be sweet. What’s also sweet? Crane Dance sells lamb, grass fed beef and a limited amount of chickens (only sold whole!!!) plus duck and goose eggs. I’m determined to get me at least one goose egg before the very short spring season is over. Those babies are ginormous. They also take orders for heirloom turkeys which means this could be the year I decide to finally do me up a Thanksgiving right like.
The ½ lb of spinach was not in the plan. I was talked into it at Visser Farms because I was “making a frittata and you’re gonna want spinach in that frittata.” He was right. I did.
We did not, by the way, consume all 3 lbs of that asparagus. 1 lb went to a coworker, ½ lb went to the frittata, ¼ lb went to Peter’s supper the other night and the rest will hopefully be turned into soup tomorrow night. This means Saturday I’ll be in the market for some more asparagus.
A new vinegar and oil shop opened downtown in Holland. Yeah, that’s right. I said “vinegar and oil shop.” It’s in the old Kilwins (which has relocated to the corner of the overpriced slightly silly looking outdoor fireplace brought to you partially by the Holland taxpayer. You’re welcome, tourists.) and it is awe-some. A big old empty room lined with flavored oils and vinegars. And they have truffle oil. And they have an 18 year old balsamic that is so going to be taking up residence in my kitchen as soon as I can justify the $18 a bottle price.
I almost feel bad for my local record shop owner as all the money I’d been spending on records is now being diverted to market and food stuffs. Someday I’ll figure out a balance.
In unrelated to food news: The Davisons are here!
Woo Hoo!
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment