The electric stovetop continues to frustrate me. I remember when it used to take almost no time at all to heat up some water for tea. I remember when I could heat up some soup in a snap. I remember when I could make gravy. I remember when my eggs were perfect every time.
I have, however, become a master chicken roaster. Roasting chickens and making stock are so easy and delicious and satisfying. And I finally did my first batch of no-knead healthy bread. The first 2 loaves were awesome. The last 2 loaves were a little dough-y, but still good. This weekend I’m going to whip up another batch in the hopes we can finally replace buying whole wheat sandwich bread with homemade which I think I can do and still satisfy Peter. And I need to make some more risotto because for some reason I can’t seem to fry a decent egg, but my risotto rules.
In other food related news, Sunday we’re going to brunch at Christina and Travis’ house. The menu thus far consists of some sort of puff pastry, egg, and spinach thing, roasted asparagus salad with walnuts and goat cheese, and spicy roasted potatoes with tamarind crème fraiche. Christina, in addition to the puff pastry/egg/spinach thing is making something sweet because that’s what Christina does best. The woman is a sweet-thing wizard. This brunch business is our attempt at getting together when we have time as opposed to waiting until all 4 of us are free on a weekend which happens maybe once every six months. It’ll be fun. I know the espresso will be divine.
The apartment continues to slowly come together. We have some vague plans involving getting rid of the leather couch if our landlords agree (I think they will. They seemed surprised we wanted it in the first place.) and moving the record player into the dining area. I’ve been on a record buying spree, but the set-up right now just isn’t conducive to me listening all that much. I thought I’d like having the living room “separated” from the dining room, but it just feels closed off and weird. Plus if we go back to just the futon we’ll have room for the rocking chair, the recliner, and maybe an IKEA chair that may or may not be available.
Nothing is currently hanging on the walls except for a kitty calendar of course. That will come. I’m still thinking a wall dedicated to the totally bizarre art print collection from the Herrick District Library might be in order. We do still have boxes not unpacked, but it’s all things we legitimately do not have furniture for: we need bookcases, we need a place for our games, I need a craft armoire. Any time I get stressed out about not having that stuff I just remind myself this is how it works. We don’t have everything we need and we can’t afford to just go out and buy it. It will take time.
This weekend: who knows. It’s been a long week. I’m ready to have one whole day where the only thing I HAVE to do is run.
And maybe go to the Sandbar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment